DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here i have some of my most recent Racing additions i bought 2 day's ago.

The first one's are a bunch of AUTOart Porsche 996's which raced in the Asian Carrera Cup, tha's as much as i know about the full-scale cars.

But the models themselfs sure are great, i bought all 4 of these from a collector freind in Birmingham, who is selling off most of his collection for transportation purpases since he is moving to Ireland, ill see if i can buy some more of him before he leaves.

Originally my freind wanted 200 quid for them, but with some haggaling, i got them for 180, im glad i could because not only are they well detailed but they are LimitedEdition, could be worth quite abit of money later on.

Right then, time for some pictures i think.

Chales Kwn No29 (Serial No 486)

Being a 911, engine detail is quite hard to see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Matthew Marsh A-HA Coffee No1 (Serial No 622)

Charles Kwan CU No1 (Serial No 322)

Scott Miau Synnex No2 (Serial No 532)

Some Shots of them together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the same day as the Porsches were bought, on the trip back home i came across a small hobby shop in Oxford, i ended up going in, die-casts were abit small in numbers, but one of them was this Audi A4 Touring car, and obviously i bought it.

The car itself was entered by Christian Abt into the 1999 STW (German SuperTouring Cup) which was also the STW's last year.
The STW had a completely different look in 1999 due to the fact that the two main protagonist over the last few season were no more. Both Peugeot and BMW pulled out of the championship at the end of 1998, leaving only works teams from Honda and Opel. They would be supported by a number of privateer teams but there would be only 20 cars on average at each race, much less than had been seen in recent seasons.

German Audi Privateer Christian Abt was the driver with the early form, taking both races in the first two rounds. It would then be the turn of top Opel drive, Uwe Alzen, to take a series of wins before the season settled down and victories were shared between the Opel, Honda and Audi teams.

Although a total of eight different drivers took wins, only Abt and Alzen were ever in serious contention for the title, which was not decided till the final race.

Unfortunately by this time the competition between the two teams had become a little heated, with a series of protest and counter protest being fought between them, one of which would see Abt disqualified from one of the races.

The season was to end in more controversy when Opel driver, Roland Asch, knocked the Audi of Abt off the track at the end of the very last round. What made it worse was that Asch had already been disqualified from the race for failing to complete a stop-go penalty following a jumped start, but his actions gave fellow Opel driver Alzen the title.

Further protests from the Abt team meant the final decision on the results was left to a tribunal, who decided the declare the results of the final round at the end of the previous lap, therefore giving Abt the title.

The interior for a model this age is great, even if the ABT notice sign on the dash is starting to peal off.

Engine's not to shabby either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some really nice additions you picked up.

Not to worry - not to many who own the Kwan Car know a lot about it or him. I never even heard of the gent until the model was shown here. :lol

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Congrats Ryan - I'm not a fan of the liveries on the Asian Cup Cars, and as I know nothing about them I would be more interested in a different 911 racer. The story about the A4 is not one I've read before - very interesting, and I love the look of the car. One of them would be a nice addition to my touring car set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great to see you bought the set of PICCA cars.

Th UT A4s are still nicely done considering the age of them . Congrats on adding them :cheers

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The Audi A4 in any livery is another of my most wanted models and to have the same one as you have would be really cool. I wouldnt mind one in the silver livery they had for it too. The engine and interiors of the car are really good for a model of its age.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
My apologies. Too many new members with new names to learn. I hate calling people by their screennames if I can help it, so I try and remember people's actual name whenever I can. Only obviously I didn't :giggle

Come to think of it, Ryan McKane might have been the character in the TOCA Race Driver game!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just looking at the A-Ha Porsche again, I never knew it had different text on each side.

Anyone notice that before and is the 1:1 the same?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just noticed that the Kwans are different. On one, the little number 29 on the hood has a brown background while on the other it is black. They can't both be correct so why the difference? :confused

Btw, mine is brown.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Bob, if I understand you correctly I think, and I stress think, that they are two different cars from two different years, albeit in very similar livery. If I am looking at the same pics as you mean, there are other differences between the placing of sponsor logo on the #29 cars as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The 29 on the hood has nothing to do with the cars race number or what race it was entering.

As you can see the Cu has the 29 above it which relates to copper which is the 29th element in the periodic table .

I have no idea why the background is different though .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.