DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real wood, awesome paint and chrome, carpeted interior, soft touch seats, decent engine, but it has dog leg hinges.
One of TFM's better efforts :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I saw that request in the SB. Here are some woodies of the top of my head.

Maisto '48 Chevy Fleetmaster
Hot Wheels '50 Mercury w/surfboars
MotorCityClassics '49 Ford (nice)
Yat-Ming Signature with real wood sides. (pic below)

G

·
I just got the MotorCityClassics '49 Ford yesterday, will be taking some pics today, it's a real beauty and could not believe my luck finding this one.

:hope

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
As far as I know, there is a metal "skin' underneath the wood. The wood was there for looks.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Gunther, on the earlier cars, up into the 1930's, the doors and most of the body on the "Woodys" were made of wood.
Everything (mostly) from the windshield back was mad of wood.
As the years went buy, more and more steel was used until it got to the point where the wood was no longer a structural member, it was only there for looks.
I think the reason the Station wagons started being made out of wood was because the automakers didn't catalog that type of body in the beginning and they were made by outside coachbuilders.
And, the technology to press the large sections of metal that would be needed to make the low sales volume SW bodies was not available and or too expensive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.