DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last of the upright chassis' to win the 500, upright meaning the driver sat on top of the driveline instead of next to it like the roadster style.
You sat up and proud with the wind in your face in what was really just a streched dirt sprint car.
I couldn't imagine wrestling this beast for 500 miles on the bumpy brick track at over 135 MPH!

This is the one and only FM racing car, it was an extremely off release in an odd scale for them, 1:16
They did an excellent job on it and I really think it is the best mass produced Indy car you can buy.
The larger scale workes for this car as it seems to blend in with the 1:18 Inday roadsters quite well.

Removable engine panels and a actual leather strap to hole the hood down.
They didn't miss a trick on the chassis from the leaf spring front suspension to the hand fuel pump to the chassis tag on the dashboard.

I so wish that FM would have stuck with this series and it would have been better if they made it in 1:18

The car even came with a pit cart and tool/signs etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Well, I like it! Oval track racing has no appeal to me, but I love the look of these old warriors, much more than their Grand Prix contemporaries.

G

·
Jeff you really love these old things dont you :lol

Did that really race with no floorboards in it....you can see the prop for gods sake :scared

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I never seen this thread either. Is everything in metal Jeff? Lots of bits and pieces everywhere. :nicejob
All those moving parts too close to the family jewels for comfort. :dizzy And race drivers of yesteryears were supposed to have the biggest of them. Quite a tight fit.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Yup, not a place where i would want to keep my jewelery :giggle

Yes, Winston, everything is metal, this is one well made diecast. They were released maybe 7 years ago and were fairly pricey @ $135 but it came with some nice extras for that money. I would have to say its the best Indy car I have.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reshot the car yesterday so i would have a little better picture of it fo my website.

Caution, the pics are a HUGE file.....

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Great pictures Jeff :nicejob

It's funny how there's so many good photographers on here, yet I can often tell who has taken a good photo just by looking at it. They all have their own characteristics. There are obviously plenty of ways to shoot a diecast and still get a good picture!

Nice looking model too, though a pity it's not in 1:18 to fit in properly with your others :cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jeff:

Give me a fast, direct way to send photos from the IMS Museum of this last dirt car to win the 500. It's owned by Carrie Agajanian, J.C.'s son, I believe. The photos are great but I'm better on emailing them.

Bill Allen

·
Registered
2 Posts
In 1951 this car raced at the Michigan Fairgrounds and won. ! was 2 1/2. Troy Ruttman saw me in the stands and took me on his victory lap. Too bad I don't remember it. I wonder if this model is still available and who made it?

G

·
Rally cool model. It looks very well made. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about these cars.
Thank you for showing us this gem.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In 1951 this car raced at the Michigan Fairgrounds and won. ! was 2 1/2. Troy Ruttman saw me in the stands and took me on his victory lap. Too bad I don't remember it. I wonder if this model is still available and who made it?
Great story!
Its made by Franklin Mint.
I am sure you can find it on ebay.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Great little car, thanks for the pics Jeff!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great story!
Its made by Franklin Mint.
I am sure you can find it on ebay.
[/quote] Thank you. If it hadn't been for your pictures, I would never had known the model existed. I found it and have it on a scale brick base waiting for a cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.