DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1953 Studebaker Starliner was the hit of it's day. Lower than it's Big 3 counterparts, sleeker, mainly devoid of chrome trim, it was much more along the lines of European design than American vehicles of the same era. It is still often cited as one of the most beautiful designs.

Attributed to Raymond Loewy, who was in charge of the Studebaker design department at that time, it was actually designed by Robert E. Bourke, and his design team. 1954 would see little change to the car save the grill inserts and hood trim. 1955 brought a big ugly chrome facia that totally ruined the original design. 1956 saw a make-over of the car by designer Duncan McRae into the Hawk series, which would carry on pretty much unchanged with minor trim, grill and trunk lid changes until 1962. Studebaker had merged with Packard in 1954, and for 1956 only, the top-of-the-line Golden Hawk carried the heavy Packard 352 cid V8, which was a straight line terror, but the extra front weight bias really hurt the handling. 1956 is also the year that this body shell got it's upright grill and fins. By 1962, Studebaker was in dire financial straits, but the new Studebaker designer, Brook Stevens pulled off a low budget miracle by revamping the now 9 year old design by giving it a formal Thunderbird-esq roof, and a horse collar, Mercedes-like grill. The car was now called the Gran Turismo Hawk and lasted for 3 years, from '62 to '64 when Studebaker breathed it's last gasp in the United States. 11 years was a very long life cycle for an American body shell in those days. . .

I got this car from Jeff, who sent it to me out of the blue. He's like that. I added carpet to it, detail painting and lowered it just a bit. . . Thanks Jeff!!!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Another incredible detailing job, Eddie...you've got yourself a beautiful model of a beautiful car!

Jeff, your generosity knows no bounds...way to go!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Eddie, you make magic! :nicejob If you lived closer you can be sure you would have a few orders from me. :cheers

BTW, what is that hole on the driver's seat? Bad molding of the plastic?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.