DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Found this today at Wal-Mart for $11.50 US. It's not my usual type of model, but for some reason I couldn't pass it up, so in the cart it went.
1959 Chevrolet Panel Wagon by Hot Wheels. First the pros. It has a nice stance. I am not a fan of many of these cars with over sized "rollers" underneath them. But on this body style, perhaps because it's so big, they look good. It is dropped to a nice level. Grill, trim tampos are all well done. The paint is very good. The pictures do not give a clear indication of the color. It is painted a suede (primer) purple color, in other words, it is flat purple. The plastic straps left a residue on the paint but it came right off with some windex. There is a really cool pinstripe detail on the hood. Tires are not super wide and they are a different size, width-wise front and rear.
The cons: First of all, the cheesy "Bid Daddy" Roth sticker on the side. That will be the first thing to go. The interior is extremely plain, and the front seat is all one piece. The windshield wiper is all one piece. The tail lights are painted over chrome, not clear lenses. The tail gate does not open. All chassis detail is molded in except for one rear suspension piece and one front suspension piece. The exhaust pipes are supposed to be those little bumps attached to the rear bumper, and they don't even have an outlet. The engine is kind of a half insert with about five pieces stuck in the engine bay.
The engine could be made to look decent and exhaust pipes could be added. All in all, with some detailing, it's not a bad model for $11.50.

Here it is after a slight re-work. . .

I got rid of the side stickers, painted the wheels dark metallic grey and silver, plumped the engine with all purple wiring and hoses, carpeted the front and rear, gave it a roll bar and although you can't see them, two big NOX tanks in the back. . . :giggle

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I can't wait to see you work your magic on this one :cheers

Great buy!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Other than the oversize wheels (and the detail problems you mentioned) I really like the look of this. Like Jeff said, I can't wait to see it when your finished with it.

G

·
nice car, fair detail for the price :cheers

this one has a lot of modding potential, just let ur creativity run the show :cheers

G

·
Well, nice looking mod Eddie. It looks like you'll have plenty of work to do on this one. But I know when you get finish with it, it'll look outstanding as always. :giggle :giggle

G

·
:iagree with Ken and Jeff. I'm sure this model will look a treat when you are finished Eddie.

This is another new one on me. I've never even seen pics of this model before.

:cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Wootness!!
Thanks for the bump as I did miss the thread. :badidea I love your work on the car Eddie. Talk about a transformation. :nicejob :nicejob That purple is growing on me eventhough Barney the dinosaur still comes to mind. :giggle I really like what you've done with the wheels. Boy do they look sharp.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Great work Eddie! I just picked one up Fri. because it was marked down at the local WM for $7.50 (also got the pro-street '53 Vette).
Are those the same wheels? They look great!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
They are the same wheels Al, but I re-painted them and added some backing plates with simulated lug nuts. The wheels don't really have lug nuts the way they come. . .

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Incredible!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts