DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some truck nuts here. I am one myself. I got this Yat Ming 1959 Ford F250 4 wheel drive about two years ago. The two drawbacks to this model are these: Yat Ming put two radiator hoses coming out of the valve covers as if it was a flat head, and it has a 292 Y-block in it. I filled the holes in the valve covers, painted the engine and plumbed and wired it. The other problem is a Yat Ming trademark, the tires and wheels are wide open in the back. I cut out some sheet styrene to cover the back. The tow boom came from a Yat Ming '53 Ford tow truck, with the sling scratch-built, and I added real cables instead of the string the boom came with. I figured as long as I had it out to take it's picture next to the Lloyd, I'd take some shots of it. . .

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
It looks terrific, Eddie!! :nicejob Can you explain the issue with the tires & wheels? I did not quite understand the problem that you fixed.

:feedback

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ric, Yat Ming has a tendency to make tires that have much less sidewall on the inside than on the outside. Then the wheels are wide open at the back and look less than realistic. Especially on this truck because inside the wheel in the back it had 4 big ugly spokes coming from the hub out to the edge of the wheel. I cut out some round pieces of thin styrene and painted them semi-gloss black to try and cover some of it up.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You know, Eddie, I wonder if you have ever considered trying to "weather" this beast a little bit. With your talents, I am sure this is something you could do, and I bet the results would be stunning!! The truck just looks soooo clean right now... too clean to be a tow. And the mods you have already done have turned out simply spectacular! :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
That's a tough looking truck, Eddie - great job!

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Hey that does look good Eddie. I have a red one of these that I have been trying to turn into a street truck. I have done a "C" section in the rear chassis and lowered the front suspension, have built custom rear suspension and axle and will put on wheels from the Maisto Chevy SSR. I looks really good (even though its not finished yet). I will post some "in progress" picts later.

thanks

Peter

PS your truck does look a little too clean for a tow truck!!! :goodpost

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Another "Cream(er) of the crop" in diecast, Eddie :giggle

How does it feel to own the best Yat Ming 1959 Ford on the planet :cheers

I also vote to "dirty" this one up a bit and maybe add a push bumper.
Do you remember when they used to put a big plank in front with sections of tires as padding?

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Here is a pict of my Ford F250. This is a pict after I had ripped out the suspension and I was trying out some wheels. I have done some more work on it since then, mostly on the chassis. I am thinking of smoothing out the body, but I like the paint work on it, so I might not.

Peter

View attachment 21580

1 - 15 of 15 Posts