DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to pick this one up during one of the many Exoto sales.
This car was marked down to $98 and at that price, it is a heck of a deal :happy

All the usual Exoto details are here.

Stunning detail everywhere you look. The use of many different materials to bring out the realisim that no painted plastic can come close to.
Fullu wired and plumbed and including 3 seperate access doors in the body.

The paint is fabulous and the stripes are very crisp.

This model is #21 of 504.

But....
Unfortunatly, another Exoto trait is present here as well.
This car never existed as it is advertised and sold.
Exoto claims this is A) The 1967 Sebring winner (chassis #J4) and/or B) The Le Mans Test car. Both are untrue.

Chassis # J3 was the Le Mans test weekend car and it did not appear like this car.
J3 was painted to look like the Sebring winner (J4) including the big #1 on the sides and tail.
This car that Exoto is selling is a total fantasy.
The only time it may have existed (as chassis # J5) is if the sign painter painted on the stripes before putting on the number roundels :giggle

Still, it is a beautiful diecast and at $100 a very good deal.
I plan on turning it into the Bruce McLaren/Mark Donohue 4th place Le Mans car anyway so I don't mine the inaccuracy.

A couple of quick pics....

Attachments

G

·
$98.... :rant :blowup :pullhair :help :nana you really know how to hurt me Jeff. :giggle
great car bud .....pity about the inaccuracies but heh less than 100 bucks :cheers

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
$98? Was a gun involved? Should I call the local authorities?

It's a great looking Model Jeff. And for that price, I'd be telling people I didn't even know in the check-out line at Wally World about it. . . :giggle I'm not very well up on the Mk. 4/J-car derivitive Jeff. How many did they build of these?

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were 12 "J" chassis' made.
Only 6 cars have this body style.
2 (J1 and J2, J2 is the car Ken Miles was killed in) were the J Car breadvan style and 2 were built to Can Am specs with the last two J11 and J12 were unfinished tubs.

G

·
Congrats Jeff

That is a mega deal. I paid something around the 90GBP mark for my MKIV and I thought that was a good deal! :shipwrecked It is a fabulous model Jeff.

I suppose it goes to show that good deals are still to be had in the States despite the recent protests over Exotos increased prices.

:cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
That's beautiful, Jeff - what a bargain!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Congrats Jeff, :cheers and even if it's not totally acurate historically ( and who but a very few of us GT 40 fanatics would ever know? :confused ), it's a great buy for $100. I would have bought it too but I already have the Andretti #3. and the Mclaren/Donahue #2 and they are great models.

BTW, the bare tub of J 12 was finished and painted red to look like the Le Mans winner, but carries the #3 and doesn't have the Gurney bubble. It's a regular every year at Road America for the historic races. I've also heard that J 11 was also finished and is somewhere in Europe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts