DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1968 Firebird 400 Starlight Triple Black

Its been quite a while since I did one of these. I know this car has been done already but I just really like this car and its worth it to review this classic. Its my absolute favorite diecast muscle car to date. :happy Hope I did this new approach right to do this car justice. Enjoy!

Brakes: Brake hardware is not visible from the outside but brake hardware is there and looks like effort was put into them.
Accuracy: 7
Detail: 8

Engine
How do I even begin this category? There is detail swimming everywhere in this department. My favorite part is the separate belts placed on each pulley (there are two I believe). The soft upper radiator hose is a must! Engine is fully wired and plumbed. Brake lines, battery cables a hand full of engine warning signs and decals placed in their proper locations. Valve covers have the same beautiful chrome dress up. Another favorite is the breather has simulated air filter material making this set up even more convincing and enjoyable. Wires go to the alternator, starter, distributor, and into the firewall and possibly other places. To top it off the underside of the hood is painted in a high quality silver and the hinges have just as much to offer as the trunk hinges. The engine to sum it up has gotten the most attention when it comes to detail.
Accuracy:8
Detail: 9

Exterior:
The body looks to be in proportion. This bird is heavy and feels solid. Nice details include metal antenna, tampo lettering,3-D badges beautiful chrome everywhere, and fine detailed driver side mirror. Tail lights are meticulously replicated. The front looks like they hit the bulls eye with chrome that looks wet with crisp lines and sharp contrast in the front grill. The only thing that isn't first class is the front vents, which is one plastic piece instead of perforated. Headlights have depth and detail which is another plus. I also like that the model has wrap around front lights. Hood has working scoops with 400 badges. Vinyl top has me coming back for more with texture and looks that make this car well rounded. For smaller details the panel gaps are satisfactory if not great. The chrome trailing from the front wheel well to the rear is all one piece and is sterling! The stance is amazing and wheels turn quite nicely.
Accuracy: 9

Interior:
First off the overall picture on the interior looks very convincing with sharp lines and detail in the instrumentation and paneling on the center console. One of my favorite parts of the interior is the passenger glove box having the same gloss and shine as the paint on the exterior. The gauges are detailed correctly and wood grain is a plus. The chrome inside is quality around the shifter and center console. Lane left no stone unturned paying attention to every detail with simulated material on the lower portion of the door panels and a decal on the side of the door that disappears when closed. Also door hinges are top notch on this one and the doors open and close with confidence. The fabric seatbelts are with detailed buckles that add a whole new dynamic to the front and rear seats. The back rest portion of the seats move forward. Along with that feature the seats have an incredible sense of realism built into them with the seats themselves feeling soft. The headliner is fantastic and has a proper small dome light and appropriate sun visors. I also like the detailed floor mats that are finished in matt black. The dash is also nicely painted. Trunk detail here is not as abundant as in the engine bay or interior but it's a trunk so Ill give it some slack. A tire and jack are placed to one side of the trunk and has one tampo. The trunk hinges are great because instead of being formed with the hinge as one piece they are stapled to the trunk like the real car. There is also another tampo underneath the lid. Other than that the floor of the trunk has no other detail or treatment.
Accuracy: 8
Detail:8

Paint: Paint is shiny, brilliant and thick but had some minor scratches but even at that scratch is too harsh of a word to describe it. A couple of things that aren't highlights are the painted in side vents, more attention could have been placed here. The other very small issue is the silver paint that extends from the A-pillar to the rear or the B-pillar does not have a sharp edge to it from masking however I believe it is because of the vinyl top and even at that you can hardly notice it.
Accuracy: 9
Detail: 9

Tampos/Decals:
Lane uses tampos and they are in all the right places and can been seen very well. They can be found in the doors, trunk, engine bay and the exterior of the car itself. The tampos used look right from any angle.
Accuracy: 6

Tires/Wheels:
Wheels are a knock out with just the right shine to the tires giving them that rubber look. Has one red ring on the side wall of tires. Center cap reads PMD in red letters and is a nice touch. Lug nuts and the rest of the rim are successfully replicated with clarity and crispness that you would expect for this price range. I would like side markings and valve stems. Also exoto has show that more effort can be put into tire tread so this also factors in.
Accuracy: 6
Detail: 7

Undercarriage:
From what is seen the paints are used nicely and parts all fit well. The brake lines are a major plus in my book and the engine can be seen. In this department the shiny chrome exhaust tips and their plumbing are a highlight. Some paint lines are not as clean cut, for example the gas tank straps but there is not much that takes away from this stunning piece. However I still think that Lane could have added more to this department but not much.
Accuracy: 8
Detail: 7

Accuracy: 7.625
Detail:8
Total Score:7.8

Summary:
This model is striking far away and up close. Its main weapons of detail are the messy wired engine bay with loads of detail, the top notch chrome work, seatbelts, interior dash, headliner, detailed hinges, 3-D Pontiac badges, and soft tires. There could be more but those are the main points.

Misc Notes:

Released: 2005
Approx Price Range: $85-100
Subject Matter: American Muscle
Packaging: Excellent, box has pictures of the model not the real car which is an extra step in my opinion and there is also history to read up on for this particular car. Comes with two antennas and a certificate of authenticity. Car itself is nicely packaged in tissues and doesn't jostle around.
Craftmanship: All components are well made and assembled. Hood, doors, and trunk all open easily and the model is sturdy. Nothing major went wrong so far.

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 23-SEPT-2005

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Great review, man. Plenty of info, plenty of pics. :nicejob Even more incentive to get one of these beasties.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
(Poking at your ribs with a stick) :tempted You need to get one of these I highly recommend it! You will not regret it even though I have it there is still more satisfaction to be had if you were to have one in your own collection. Thanks for reading the review Derek! :happy

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Great Review Jacob! I have been after the non v-top one! I have read that Lane wanted to package this one in "Matrix" packaging but they could not come to agreement on the licenseing so it was sold in a regular Lane box. I think that one is used in Matrix II at the end of the freeway chase scene.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jacob , Id just like to say one thing.......

Im trying very hard here not to get hooked on American muscle etc , but you and Johnny arent making it easy for me by posting reviews and pics of such stunning cars :giggle

Great review of a very nice car :nicejob :nicejob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great review man :cheers

awesome to see that Lane packed in so much detail into this car :cheers

maybe that painted it a dark colour so it wouldnt steal the limelight from other cars in your collection so much :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks ricallen, ArV6, and RHD! Glad to write a review on it. :cheers

Gary : Glad I can reutrn the favor that has been handed to me countless times by many other of the members. :giggle It is a slippery slope! Be careful! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, HATE for my first post to be negative at all... but: I just recvd my black 68 and I am not at all happy with the stance. It sits to low in the front (noticably lower than the back) and the front wheel tracking is noticably narrower. Being the owner of several of these cars in original condition over the years I know this is not accurate. It really prevents the front end of this otherise absolutely gorgeous model from looking it's best. The 68 Firebird in black has one of the most stunning front ends of any muscle car. Ufortunately it's a little hosed up on the Lane. I hate to hack my Lane up but I cant let 5% of the detail ruin the other 95%. This model is to gorgeous for that. I will probably modify it to look correct.

Todd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Todd,

Welcome aboard, first post or not, genuine honesty is always welcomed. :cheers

Hope you enjoy the forums :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Todd,

You only roasted to a burnt crisp if you tell a lie about a model :lol

All the collectors who go out and buy it on your word come back mad as heck :lol

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome to DX Todd! I think you will find that you are more likely to get flamed here on DX if you show a "me too" parrot type of approach! Genuine honest coments are very much appreciated here, certainly in my honest opinion! :lol :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all this time past and aspecially if your car is still packaged up, you might just want to re-checkk the finish up close. any may not be that nice smooth original finish anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts