DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
The newest addition arrived today in my office, this being the 1968 Firebird 400 by Exact Detail (Zone Limited Edition III).

Immediately upon opening it, I was impressed with the overall fit an finish of the car, and it feels very substantial when holding it. The interior and engine detail are also what you would expect from Exact Detail, though I must say I was disappointed in the "carpet." The detail on the packaging states it uses "simulated carpet flocking paint." Well, it is not simulated very well, in my opinion. In fact, upon just glancing at it, it does not look like carpet at all. It does feel some rough to the touch, but touch is not the sense you really want to use here -- sight is. On the other hand, the front grill portion of the car is really something to see! The job done here in recreating the look of this classic was very good (less the headlights, which are not up the same level).

As for the value, I managed to pick this up for the same price as the Authentics Camaro ($49), and I imagine that when I get the two next to each other, they will compliment each other very well, but if I had paid full price for this car, I think I would be a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful piece, but it really does not appear to outshine the Authentics in any way, and in some ways (the carpet) is just not as nice. What this goes to illustrate is just what a value for your money you get with the Authentics line (and I have to think companies like this are watching that line very carefully).

Overall assessment... a very nice looking piece that any muscle collector would be thrilled to have in their collection, and if you can pick one up for a good price, you will likely not be disappointed.

G

·
Congrats Ric :cheers

I nearly went for one of these too , but I just couldnt talk myself into liking the colour. Apart from that , it is one very nice car .

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Gary, I think the actual color (which is not represented well in that photo at all) is actually very nice on this car. Take a look when I get some detail shots posted this weekend. :cheers

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
I have one of those sitting on the helf here, Ric.
Shame its still in the box and its not mine. :giggle
I have a feeling it came from the same place yours did:wink

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Beautiful, Ric! I love my Starlight Black one, but unfortunately it has that seat problem, where the driver's seat stays a bit forward :pullhair. Overall a very nice model, but I would have trouble in saying which model is better, the Authentics Camaro or this Firebird. But for the price, the Camaro takes the crown home without a sweat.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Another great addition, Ric - what a handsome bird!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Jeff you should pull it out of the box & have a look, I am positive the new owner would not mind at all.

Al thanks for the great info one this car, the good & bad, looking forward to getting my hands on one soon.

:cheers

BTW I touched up your photo a bit, sorry I could not help it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem, Mike! Every time I tried to adjust it, my colors kept getting screwy, so I left it as is. Your pic is a definitely improvement. :cheers

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That Bird is great. I love the '68, mainly because I had one, but I just can't entertain the idea of getting one until they bring out a version with the Sprint OHC 6 in it. But I think that cream color suits the Firebird well. Congrats Ric!!! :nicejob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.