DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Mark, (StJoeKid) got me this model as a birthday present, and it is a pretty sweet model. The two drawbacks is it has an engine insert versus a real engine, and although the trunk lid opens, there really isn't much in there that your going to want to look at. It's my own opinion that any muscle car fan needs this unique model in their collection.
The Talladega was a one year only model based on the Torino/Fairlane platform. It was a product of the late 60's/early 70's so called "Aerowars" which saw Ford and Mopar come out with some pretty wild cars built strictly to race NASCAR and have a wind cheating advantage. The Talladega had a Mercury twin called the Cyclone Spoiler II. The differences between the base Torino and the Talladega was mainly the extended droop-snout front sheet metal and re-rolled rocker panels that, by NASCAR rules allowed the car to sit an inch lower to the ground.
Because of the insert, I didn't do any wiring or plumbing to this car, just detail painting, decals and Al's spray-on suede for the carpeting. . .

The entire album can be viewed here: 1969 Talladega

G

·
Great as ever Eddie.

I haven't seen this version before. The wheels look nice - as are your pics. The workshop set up really suits the model.

:cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Outstanding work as always! :happy

You really turned this car into something!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Great work Eddie! :nicejob I would love to see a Cyclone Spoiler II in 1/18. I thought about making one from this Torino, but the work required is beyond me.

Charles from Maisto posted that they are only doing the 3 factory colors offered and are not going to do an Ertl and invent colors.
I am surpriced that there has not been any NASCARs done from this mold. When I first saw it, I thought it would be a natural.

This is one model where a little black-wash on the wheels (and paint the black bands) makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Another outstanding job, Eddie! Too bad about the engine insert, but you certainly made the best of it. It loods much better than an ugly chunk of black plastic.

G

·
Now that's a sweet model for a FORD :giggle Glad you like it. I'm like the ideai AL said about a little black-wash on the wheels, I think it would make a lot of difference. You did a nice job on detailing it. Love the floor mats!!!! :cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts