DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1969 and 1970 Trans Am seasons were the golden years for that series.
Some of the best drivers in the world including Peter revson, Mark Donohue, Parnelli Jones, George Follmer, Dan Gurney, Peter Revson, Jim Hall, Bonnie Buckman, Jerry Titus among others competed.

The car owners were no Slouches either with Roger Penske, Bud Moore and Carroll Shelby running teams.

The Bud Moore owned team fielded some of the fastest and best prepared cars on the grid and with Parnelli Jones and George Follmer driving along with a big bucket of cash from Ford, things looked good.
The #15 and #16 Mustangs were very fast and sat on the pole many times only to be hampered by the Firestone tires they used.
The tires did not last as well as the Goodyears and it ended up being a lorge factor in the Penske Camaro taking the top spot when the season was over.

This model made by Welly (supposedly) and commisoioned by GMP who owned the license to produce these cars is a real mixed bag.
The QC is rather high with fair amount of detail but the car itself is veru inaccurate.
Its based on an Austrailian race cars that Welly came out with a number of years ago and it is not correct for the American Trans Am cars.
The Front end including the wheel arches, and bumper/grille areas are wrong. The way the nose slopes to the ground does not appear correct either.
Also, the ground clearence is much to low. Luckily there is a quick fix for the front suspension that only takes a few minutes.
The interior has 2 seats where it should have one and the roll cage doesn't looks like it should. The engine should not have Webber carbs.

The markings (tampo's) all look to be correct and in the right place. The trunk does not open and the chassis detail is rather minimal. The price is too high considering what the GMP Camaro's cost.
The only reason I bought this was I saw this car race at Mid Ohio in person and I had to have it despit its problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
They may not be accurate, but they sure look good!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Plus, the headers come out of the bottom of the block!

I agree, a great concept, poorly executed in its original form (the Moffett version), and then the compromise foised onto the rest of us in domestic liveries of the Trans Am series. I have to admit, I have three of these, one of which has a rudimentary air box which partially hides the Webers.

But even this airbox would not have been consistent with what was used in a real Trans Am car.

:pullhair

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Bummer about the inaccuracies. I'd have to say that over all it's a great looking model. The livery on this one is awesome!

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
199 Posts
Actually the carb air box on the yellow car IS period correct for the 1970-1971 racing season, when the rules restricted carburetion. Unfortunately, that is all that has been improved upon from the earlier releases, even the body color is wrong =it should be Grabber Orange :help

Why relase the #15 car in yellow, with th ewrong driver name on the roof is unexplainable, and why not the #16 car too? :pullhair

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Read an interesting article the other night, that the reason the export brace isn't there is because it wouldn't clear the Webers. Apparently, when the car was delivered to Moffett originally, it came with a 302 with a 4 barrel, and they removed it to add the Australian-legal carb set-up. Hence, with nothing to go by, it gets left off the model, as well. And since Welly/GMP just used the same molds, over and over again, we will never see it. :pullhair

By the way, my yellow one came without a passenger seat, so apparently somebody is listening somewhere, and the simple deletion of an installation instruction gets us one step closer to accuracly.

:cheers

G

·
Jeff, thanks for posting the pics of this model.

I always wondered about these models.

I have been debating for the longest to get one of these and paint it all black. :tempted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.