DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The one thing about doing model reviews is that you always learn something about the 1:1 that may not necessarily be common knowledge. Thats what I encountered while researching this model.

GM produced the Chevelle from 1964-1977, arguably the best muscle car era as there were some heavy hitters cruising the boulevards of every town that had a car scene.

Introduced in 1964, the Malibu SS was the early on designation that we all know of the Chevelle SS which appeared two years later in 1966. However, our neighbors in the Great North was still treated to the Malibu SS.

During the 60's, the government placed a restriction on engine displacment, but GM as well as others found the loop hole and drove straight through it. The loop hole came through the dealers, as dealerships could place orders through GM's C.O.P.O(Central Office Production Order). This restriction was dropped in 1970 opening the gates for gas guzzling performance brutes.

Under the era of "no rules", GM chose their 396 ci., primarily because of its notoriety, bored it out to 402 ci, leaving the 396 badging in place - which explains why it was underated, as an introduction to bigger era of bigger engines. But it was the 454 ci, that made the Chevelle SS top dog in the 1/4 mile @ 13 seconds, making 450 hp and 500 ft lbs of tq. This car was a monster when you compare those performance numbers of sports cars today. An example: 1996 Camaro SS ran the 1/4 in low 13's and the 2000 Camaro SS with LS1 engine ran the 1/4 in high 12's. Quite impressive for a showroom stock car of the 70's.

Personally, thats why this particular car is one of my personal favorites from that era :giggle

1972 marked the demise of the Chevelle SS(alledgedly) due to restrictions of the government being reapplied - however, as with the 396, GM found a way to underate the car by going with the engines rated net hp of 250. Good on GM.

Those guys who were making the calls back then must have retired as that marketing genius is long lost on some of GM's products today - sorry, just thinking out loud here. :confused

Let me start by stating that, I love an accurate representation of the 1:1, no matter if it is a budget model or a premium model. It means a lot to me. While researching the accuracy and details of the 1:18 compared to the 1:1 - I found myself climbing an uphill battle as most of the pictures I found of the 1:1 were rebuilds - that wasn't necessarily built to OEM specs, but to the current owners specifications.

But then I was pointed to a gentleman who knows a few things about how to spot a rebuild from an original. I told him what I was doing a model car review and he passed on me some notes that would help out in identifying the accuracy and details that I wanted to know about.

Brakes accuracy= N/A detail= N/A
No brake detail to talk about here as the rally type styled wheels covers up any brake detail if any just as the 1:1 wheels did.

Engine - accuracy= 9 detail= 9
As the engine is what made the Chevelle SS the legendary symbol it is today, Lane/Exact Details surely captured it at its best. Remarkably accurate from the engine block color to the chrome valve covers, over to the hood latch and then on to the wire plumbing. In addition, engine stickers are applied accordingly and the blacked out hood liner finishes it off nicely matching the blacked out engine bay. But there is one detail of the engine that I noticed on pictures of the 1:1 that sticks out in my mind and furthers convinces me that the engine is nicely and accurately detailed. At the very back of the hood, is an air sensor assembly attached to the cowl induction feature on top of the hood. - without a doubt a vital feature assoicated with the cowl induction assembly, to see such a small detail represented is quite nice.

The air snorkel is appropriately labeled with the 454 ci and turbo-jet stickers. Another nice little feature I noticed is the bronze colored power steering fluid housing and reservoir - appropriately colored just like the 1:1.

Most of the wiring is plastic and wired appropriately, the one thing I would have possibly like to have seen is that since Lane/Exact Detail went the distance of capturing everything as far as engine stickers - is seeing the larger hoses branded with part numbers would have been nice.

Exterior - accuracy= 8.5 detail=8
The exterior features a bold, brawny and yet awkwardly looking rear end - just as the 1:1, with panel gaps flowing flowing tastefully and in some areas tightly representing a flush fit and finish. The front bumpers are finished in chrome rather nicely and has the distinct bolt dimple, I even noticed the outside of the bumpers have the little step which is found on OEM bumpers. The bezel headlights which brightens up the facial look of the front end should please many who dread the head light stubs as none can be found here. There is lots of chrome on this car, around the fender wells, rear view mirror, window trimming and front and rear bumpers - all of its tastefully and accurately.

I find the stance to be close to the 1:1, but looking right behind the doors, I get the feeling that it could have been a bit more flair - but that could be attributed to the scale.

The front grill is prolly the crooked teeth of this beautiful girl as its suppose to be black - but in certain places, silver shines through as the paint is thinly applied.

As the model comes with hood pins, there are no wires to simulate locking pins - this could easily be taked care of as we have seen some do with their SC Mustang Eleanor's.

Interior - accuracy= 8 detail=8.5
The interior features full capreted floors, seat belts and even a dome light. With the many options available on the 1:1, this is where it tricky if not complicated. The dash instrumentation location is a fool proof way of identifying a OEM car -v- a rebuild. From the notes I was presented with, it looks like everything is in place accordingly and all gauges are the correct size too - only thing that is missing is the amp meter which is located on the left side. Talk about splitting hairs :giggle

You will find soft to the touch seating which is finished in a nice shade of saddle and the front bucket seats fold forward to reveal a bench seat with seatbelts, arm rests with ashtrays and window cranks. The doors have a manual window cranks as well as those big door lock stubs I remember on my uncles cars which you could pull up to unlock the doors. There are no dog legs on this model which is interesting considering the mold is a few years old. Also the door jams have model spec stickers.

Only thing missing is some floor mats.

Paint - accuracy= 9 detail= 9
This model is finished in 75-Cranberry Red with Black Hugger Stripes. I don't have any paint chips to verfiy the shade of color - so we will just have to go with it being close if not exact to the real deal.

The paint surface is finished smoothly and thickly applied revealing no thin areas.

The hugger stripes are nicely done with trim to compliment them nicely and evenly applied.

Tampo/Decals - accuracy= 9 detail= 7.5
Front fender features those two great letters put together, "SS" with 454 underneath them.

Out back is the famous Chevelle badge tampoed on firmly and distinctly, but unlegible.

Tires/Wheels - accuracy= 8.5 detail= 8.5
Wearing Good Year 70/14's they are classically represented - I am still amazed at the wheel size as today we see most perfomance cars with massive wheels and tire combinations.

The rally wheels where the SS center caps and looks to be of two pieces, one piece being polished and the other being chrome.

But I will admit, they are very unattractive - but can't hold that against the model as the !:1 wheels are equally unattractive. :giggle

Undercarriage - accuracy= 8.5 detail= 9
Not often an area often seen, but the undercarriage is nicely finished. Showing a true dual exhaust system that runs the length of the carriage coupled with correctly placed fuel lines connecting from rear to front - its a great view from underneath.I especially like the frame rails and front and rear sway bars finished in a bronze alloy finish.

While typing this and looking at the model - it better looking than when I first looked at it.

Overall
Accuracy - 8.64
Details - 8.5

This is a model that shows a distinct quality, attention to detail and accuracy that meets expectations. My only regret about this model is not adding one sooner now knowing what its like. The high price which these models can be found at may have determined that purchase factor though.

Year produced - 2004
Price(budget/premium) - Retail: $90-$100
Subject Matter - Muscle Car
Packaging - Styrofoam Shell, Tissue Paper, Carboard Box
Craftsmanship and Quality - Nicely crafted with quality representative of a premium model.

Added to the Model Review Database v2.0

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Nice review and pics, Darrick - thanks! One small thing I'd like to try and clear up, it wasn't government regulations that limited engine size, but GM's rules. For example, all through the 60's you could buy Mopars with 426 and 440 engines. The General's upper management, however, had decreed nothing over 400 cubic inches in their intermediates.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

Thats not exactly clear. you could also buy big engines through GM's C.O.P.O. during the 60's.

I don't know the exact details, but during the early 70's, the EPA( a government agency) put out emissions standards date stamped which most of these cars couldn't meet. So the auto industry as a whole, not just GM, turned to the SAE for recommendations - and from my understanding, thats when GM declared none of their cars would be over 400 ci - even when they were.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
That's how I have read what happened. The GM brass did not want anything over 400cid on their intermediate and smaller cars.

The EPA was established in July 1970, long after the '70 Chevelles were made.

BTW, great review and pics Darrick! :cheers The dual headlight '70 is my favorate of all the Chevelles. I just love how Lane made the Cowl Induction to work.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Darrick, the model looks gorgeous, specially the engine (awesome! :10), but isn't the windshield a bit too curvy? I mean, like it's bulging out and should be a bit more flat?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luc,

I too think the glass bulges too much - If I am not mistaken, that is one of the knocks on these Chevelles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fab review, just love the colour and detail on this Chevelle. :coolpics :cheers ..

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Great write-up Darrick! Well done! It looks like you have one sharp car on your hands!!!

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I agree with you about the COPO cars Darrick...I was talking about regular production models. All regular production GM intermediates before the '70 model year had a maximum of 400 cubic inches, mandated by management, which is why when Oldsmobile built the Hurst Olds with a 455, it was listed as being constructed by Demmer Industries (although all Demmer did was add the Hurst shifter and some trim pieces, badges etc.

Three factors contributed to the demise of the big engines...emissions standards, rising gas prices and insurance rates...by the mid '70's they were gone, although with the exception of the Pontiac SD455 they had been detuned so much that it wasn't much of a loss. Pontiac built a few 455 HO Trans Ams in '75, but they were basically sedan engines, not high output at all.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Good review. Congrats to addition.
I have the same model in the same colour combination and I like it very much as well as real car. To my knowledge, the Chevelle SS 454 LS6 (which is the model) was standard street going muscle car with the highest engine output (officially 450 hp) and it was even more powerfull than 1970 426 Hemi Cuda (officially 425 hp). But as for torgue, the winner was 1970 Buick GSX which I am missing in my colection (for now only).
And a question: Do both doors close perfectly in your model? In my model the left door is little loose and does not close perfectly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is my favorite Chevelle model year, but I never bought one of the Lane die-casts because I think they did an aweful job on the rear end, the rear lights look absolutely cheap and I can't stand something like that when I pay so much for a model like this. They should be supposed to have matt grey panels around them and reverse lights are totally missing?!? So for that reason I - personally - would lower the exterior score. Your review is great otherwise, was interesting to read it!
The front looks excellent, by the way, miles ahead of Ertl or Welly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the words Supernaut - glad you enjoyed the read,

I clearly understand what you mean about the rear lights should have a gray housing around them - I saw this on some of the pics that I used for research.

However, I don't know if that was something concrete to go off as I don't know if the pics I was looking at are OEM rebuilds or custom rebuilds.

From the information I had to go off, the front signals on OEM cars were clear, I couldn't find a single picture of a 70 SS with clear lenses - so I couldn't use the lights as a determining factor, whether it be turn signals or rear lights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I built this Chevelle as a 3D model once and did quite a lot of research at that time, too, and I stumbled across articles about real matching number survivors and also material from the time the Chevelle was released, and those rear lights always looked like this:
http://www.thebaycitymotorcompany.com/site...%20(Custom).JPG

Maybe I'm just too picky there but I just think it's a bit disappointing when a model is so perfect otherwise and then has an important detail done rather loosy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't believe your no picky than I am - I'm almost certain of it :giggle

From all of the pics I searched for, the lights looked the same as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.