DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started out as a primered 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 kit by Motor Max. I'm going to turn it into a Competition Orange Boss 302. I've been working on this car for a week now. I have the engine assembled, the body painted, and the stripes added. I spent 4 days working on the body, and it is by far the nicest car I have ever done.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
That looks great :cheers can't wait to see the finish results! :zoom
I am sure you know, but the only orange in '70 was Grabber Orange ( like the current Mustang color).

Also, how are you going to cover the hole where the 429 hood scoop was? A 302 had either a Shaker or the flat hood.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks. I either wanted to make this orange or yellow and when I went to buy the paint they only had Competition Orange. I was going to leave the hood scoop how it was, although I would of rather had a Shaker hood, but I don't think I would be able to change it. I was on vacation when I painted this and when I got home tonight I realized that the pictures I looked at before I painted it were the 302's instead of the 429's, and that is why I'm turning it into a 302.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the engine painted and I painted the front grill black.

I went to move the Mustang today and I guess I had paint on my hand and I got it all over the back fender. So I decided to strip off the Competition Orange paint and I'm going to see if I can find Grabber Orange paint. I'll probably still make it look like a 302 because I think it looks better than the 429.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Very nice work with the stripes! I have seen the Testor rattle-can of Grabber Orange at HobbyLobby.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just primered the car. I bought the paint today. The hobby shop by my house didn't have Grabber Orange, so instead I got Roadstar Orange. It's supposed to be close to Grabber Orange. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it painted.

·
Registered
382 Posts
To paint with tape, you have to use the green auto paint, masking tape. You can get it a better auto stores or at any auto paint shop....The green tape sticks tighter but will come off very easy, you should remove it as soon as paint tacks up and when peeling it off you should pull so it makes a 45 deg. back to back of tape. That way will cut the paint line instead of pulling chuncks from your nice stright lines.....If you are not using auto paint go to wallyworld and get the blue painters tape...Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've spent the last 3 hours working on this car. I've decided to keep the car a 429 instead of a 302. The paint looks so nice I'm afraid I'll mess it up painting the stripes. This is by far the nicest paint job I've ever done.

Here's what I did in the last 3 hours:
added another coat of paint
painted the wheels
added the wood to the dashboard, door panels and center console
added the front and rear lights to the bumpers
attached the engine and interior to the chassis
added the rear suspension
assembled the interior
added carpeting

Here's some pictures. Sorry if the pictures are bad, I took them on my cell phone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.