DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I bought a Maisto 1970 Chevy Nova SS. Great body design, but the wheels and certain details of the cars are weak. Right now I am switching out the wheels. This is the first time I have attempted to remove the wheels of a model. These are were very easy; they just pulled right off with a bit of force. My new wheels almost nearly fit right in place.

Plans: New wheels, upgrade the interior with carpet and paint to the seats, small amounts of engine detail. More things may come to mind as I go.

I forgot to take a picture of the stock model, so this one might work for now...will update as I go.

The new wheels are on the left, stock is on the right

When trying to keep the wheels from moving I thought to use my divot repair tool to hold the wheel in place. Seems to be working.

·
Premium Member
12,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheels are done, huge improvement! Next, will be the interior. Still bouncing around some ideas, but I will add carpet and change the color of the seats. The full black interior needs something to break it up. New steering wheel and shifter will also be in the mix.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
That looks much better Preisman! I saw this at Costco and Sam's, but I passed on it largely because of the wheels and relatively drab interior. That said, it's a pretty nice effort by Maisto, and with some detailing it could look fantastic. The wheels alone improve the look dramatically in my opinion!

If I'm not mistaken, those are GMP Chevrolet Rally wheels, right? And aren't they just about impossible to find these days, or does anyone know of a source?

I'll look forward to the finished results. So far so good!

·
Premium Member
12,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks much better Preisman! I saw this at Costco and Sam's, but I passed on it largely because of the wheels and relatively drab interior. That said, it's a pretty nice effort by Maisto, and with some detailing it could look fantastic. The wheels alone improve the look dramatically in my opinion!

If I'm not mistaken, those are GMP Chevrolet Rally wheels, right? And aren't they just about impossible to find these days, or does anyone know of a source?

I'll look forward to the finished results. So far so good!
Thanks. I looked into this model and decided against it, but seeing it in person I instantly started thinking of things to help it.

And yes they are GMP wheels. Good eye. I got them on ebay a few months ago for $20, maybe. They were pretty cheap.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Fantastic! You instantly made the model's weak link it's best feature!
I really like the color, but do you think you could lift the rear a good bit and give it more attitude? Right now it looks like a light-to-light sleeper for sure.

·
Premium Member
12,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic! You instantly made the model's weak link it's best feature!
I really like the color, but do you think you could lift the rear a good bit and give it more attitude? Right now it looks like a light-to-light sleeper for sure.
Thank you!

After taking the pictures I noticed the rear is sitting too low, or the front is to high. I would like to adjust the ride hight for sure. Lowerering the front would be easy, but to raise the rear I would have to figure something out. When I take it apart to fix up the interior I will look into the suspension.

As far as interior parts, I have looked into a few things from corrupted. His B&M shifter would be nice. The Nova's had black interior so I think new belts and adding some blue highlights might work. I'll add carpet to match the exterior. I am not sure about adding too much to the engine. It is pretty good for the most part. The intake is weak so I might try and replace it with something else, but I might just leave it. The truck sucks in this model. I want to remove the horribly bad spare tire and add a fuel cell and some color. I am not going to go crazy with this car, but improve it. I do not want to lose the overall look of the 1970 Nova. I love these cars.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'll be glad to help with what ever you need. If you're needing something that you don't see just send me a message I probably have it, and didn't add it to the site. I have a lot of parts that I'll be adding soon. 3 different types of seats, new wheels, drag radial tires, steering wheels, consoles, gauges/tach sets, etc. Anyway, don't want to take over your thread.

I like the new wheels on your nova. I think if you just lwered the front that would do the trick. Can't wait to see the rest of your mods. nice so far.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
nice work - I agree with everyone that the change a big difference. I think GMP or someone also has the nicer quality style of wheels you took off the car - would look nice on there as well. Hey, when you're done with the interior, it'll be time for the engine updgrade! :)

Mark

·
Premium Member
12,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That one looks cool. I have all the parts to make that engine. Mini blower, carb, valve covers, etc. The one I was thinking of was the same color as yours, and theyused stock style wheels(wider) with hub caps. They put a mean LS1 in it with a carb., non fuel injection.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Very nice! I love those GMP's and to think that at one time you could buy them bulk for something like $1.25 each!

Is the engine a "plate" or a proper engine. The reason I ask is because last year I saw this Pro-Rodz version it Costco and it was a plate, so I did not get the stock version because of I thought it would be the same.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Very nice! I love those GMP's and to think that at one time you could buy them bulk for something like $1.25 each!
.....is this real Al, or exaggeration for effect?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
.....is this real Al, or exaggeration for effect?

[/quote]
Real as a heart attack! Mike, from http://www.mikesdiecast.com/ used to run a special of bulk GMP wheels of 5 set of 4 wheels for $25, plus shipping. If you bought a car from him, the shipping of the wheels was free.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts