DiecastXchange Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Mercedes 300SEL 6.8 ; Hockenheim 1971 - H.Kelleners

In 1971, AMG - the performance tuning company specializing in Mercedes-Benz - succeeded in developing 428 hp from an increased engine bore of 6.8 liter together with other highly efficient refinements. AMG unflinchingly entered their missile - fitted with appropriate racing tires - for the 24-hour touring car race at Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium. Only a works Ford Capri beat them to the finish.

0-100 km/h : 4,2 s
0-200 km/h : 12 s
quarter mile 14,42 s
weight of 2400 kg .

This speed monster is reproduced in 1:18 by Minichamps and they did a good job…

Part number : 100 713435
Price : 75 € ( $ 97)

It's a big and heavy 1:18, with a smooth red painting and some livery (decals).
Full openings.

There is a chrome list on the doors and a silver painted line around the front and rear windows…The plastic fuel valve is separately mounted on the car. The windshield wipers look a little messy and don't have contact with the front window. Also the chrome work is not 100 %…I have some black spots where chrome is missing…

The front grill is plastic and looks like it is photo etched (but I'm not sure about that).

At the back of the car the typo (6.3 and 300SEL) are photo etched, while the Mercedes star is painted. The engine hood and trunk are closed by two (only decorative) rubber belts/hooks.

Five spoke grey colored rims on Dunlop tires….

Nicely detailed interior with plastic safety belt on the drivers side, a fire extinguisher and safety cage are present. Wood trim on the dashboard…

The engine is completely wired and nice detail….

Conclusion:

Overall I'm very happy I bought this (not so cheap) model, and I think it is worth it, especially if you know AutoArt is selling similar sealed cars for the same money.

Exterior : 8.0/10
Interior : 7.5/10
Engine : 8.0/10

Total : 7.83/10

**Review added to the DX Model Review Database**

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I love cars from this era, and this is one is fantastic - congratulations Gunther!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Congratulations Gunther. I hope the model as a similar stance like the 1:1 in the second picture. That car looks like it has been fed on a diet of BMWs rather than gasoline.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I might be wrong, but I think the 1:1 version shown is the one that raced at Spa and not the one modelled. The model shows the car as raced at Hockenheim and is correct as far as I know (the car had slightly different markings at that race) :cheers

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As I said before, this car will be parked at one of my displays very soon.
:cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts