DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
From a very successful launch in the 1970 racing season, Driver Don Carlton joined the Motown Missile Team and nearly every drag racing fan still remembers this second Missile, the 1971 Challenger. It enjoyed the distinction of being the quickest and fastest Pro Stock Car in the country. During the 1971 Grandnationals, it set an all time low et for Pro Stocks at 9.48 and 146.10 MPH. This car was considered by many racers to be the best prepared, most thought out and best engineered car on the circuit and it was a rolling test lab for Chrysler engineers. With the late Don Carlton driving, this Missile would perch up on its spring loaded wheelie bars and set performance levels for all other cars to equal. The team and car continued to improve as Ted Spehar and the Chrysler Performance Group worked continually to make it one of the most competitive Pro Stockers on the circuit. From the back of the box.

Below we have the 1/18 scale replica of the car written about above. ERTL was comissioned by Merchandising Incentives Corp. and this car was released as part of their '50 Years Hemi' commemorative series. On this model, we get opening passenger compartment doors and a removable hood. No access to the trunk on this one. Inside we see a fairly well done cockpit and interior space. The most noticable items are the drag race shifter and the tachometer on the dashboard. Under the hood we get an engine that is pretty good compared to other ETL releases. It's not quite up to thier 'Authentics' line but does offer dual plug wires for each cylinder. The carbs and manifold are quite boxy looking. Fit and finish is on par with ERTLs recent releases. Tampos are of decent quality and they are lined up good.

This car was not on my holy grail list (only motorcycles have a spot on that shelf as of now) but if there was a catagory just inder 'grail - this would be the first car on it! It was a pleasure pulling it out of the box as the model on top of it got kinda broken up in shipping. Anyways...and with no further ado, here's what everyon is waiting for - the pics!!!

:cheers
Sean

And here is our car with the 1972 'Cuda that the Motown Missile Racing Team ran the following year.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Well, it's a good thing I don't have a wish list, or you'd probably be getting a kill sticker, Sean...no Challengers in my collection and that would really fill the gap!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I've been on the hunt for this one for a while, finally found one at a price I could pull the trigger on!

Sean

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Congrats Sean! :cheers I wouldn't picking this one up if a good deal ever come up.

I remember the fuss this one created when first release, as China put "Charger" and not "Challenger" script between the tail lights :giggle

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I remember noticing that when I was taking the pics and I was going to take a closer look at it later. I forgot about it. Thanks for pointing it out!!! Good catch!

Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.