DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
One of my most wished for models of all time is finally here.
This has to be one of my top 2 or 3 favorite Indy cars and easily in the top 5 of all race cars :happy

This car represents Roger Penske's first win in 1972 at Indy as well as McLarens.

Mark Donohue was the driver and backed up his 2nd place showing in 1970 driving a Lola.

It was very unusual that McLaren actually sold one of their chassis. to a competeing team but they did and getting beat was the result.
McLaren would come back to win in 74 and 76 with their own team, however.

Donohue actually was the recipient of the win because of his Penske teamates bad luck.
Garry Bettenhausen was the driver of the Penske #7 and dominated the race, leading 138 of the first 182 laps but couldn't be there for lap number 200 and the win.
His McLaren was out with ignition trouble and Donohue was able to cruise for the win despite only leading 13 laps.

The model...

A solid "B" to "B+" effort.
Carousel went to the trouble of tooling un an entirely new body and not trying to get by with using their later M16D mould.

Very high build quality and great paint work. Working front suspension and lots of small detail that show up only with close inspection.

A couple misses are the rear wing which appears to be a bit too narrow, missing L&M ciggarette decals and the wheels need a thicker band of chrome to be completely accurate.

Certainly not to Exoto/CMC detail levels, it is still a well done model easily in AUTOart territory or even higher. Which it should be considering the rather high list price of $139. At least this is a true L/E and we won't be seeing another version of this unless C1 decides to do the Bettenhausen car.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
That's beautiful, Jeff (guess you knew I was gonna say that). Of all the great models with Sunoco livery, I think it suits this car the best.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Beautiful model Jeff, (something about blue and yellow and the words Sunoco, McLaren and Donahue just all go together real well :giggle ) and thanks for the history! :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Congrats on getting a car that holds so much meaning to you Jeff. :cheers The small history lesson you provided adds a lot of depth too. For me, I didn't really get to know the name Roger Penske until his CART days and his involvement with Canadian driver Paul Tracy.

G

·
that is one sweet looking racecar Jeff.
love your shots too :nicejob
the Penske cars have always had good liveries in my humble opinion
very nice addition :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I am glad to finally have this car in 1:18 :yahoo

Now, if only C1 will do the 1957 and 1958, and the 1970 and 1971 winners my Indy car collection can just about be complete.

Well, that is if I ever come up with the money to buy the 1969 Brawner Hawk by Ertl/Danbury that is :giggle

Felix
Roger Penske first brought Donohue to the speedway in 1969. The fifnshed 7th that year and 2nd in 1970 with a DNF in 71 and finally the win in 72

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Did somebody get his light tent set up? Awesome pics, Jeff!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I have a feeling this year's Photographer of the Year voting is gonna be even tougher than last year.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Latest photo upgrade.

I keep trying :giggle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts