DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When this arrived recently I was shocked to see part of the classic BMW stripes missing,
I assumed they had perished and fallen off as some waterslide decals are prone to.
Then I found a slip of paper which explained that the model is produced this way because of what happened at the race meeting.
BMW discovered that Ford were planning to bring the last of the five Capri RS3100 cars out of retirement to run at the Norisiring.
At the time, this was among the most prestigious rounds of the race series, if not the most important.
So BMW decide to bring one of the IMSA cars back from America for Stuck to race in the DRM round,
and for Peterson to compete in the money race which combined the two classes into one race - up to and over 2 litre.
Since Harald Grohs had damaged his CSL several times prior to this race, the intention was to replace his with this one.
In a strange coincidence, Peterson crashed the front right corner of the car during his 'training' run.
Because BMW were well aware that some of the private team drivers were prone to damaging their cars,
they had unmarked spares on hand.
There wasn't enough time to find and fit the stripes and the car raced like the model is presented.
This is the only model I have with race specific shortcomings in terms of markings, I can't decide if I like it this way or not!
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scuddy, it's a Minichamps.
They did a series of the later model CSL, in IMSA, group2/DRM and Group 5.
The really nice AUTOart versions are from the earlier spec 1973 cars.
I speak only in relation to the all open Minichamps diecasts, the later sealed versions usually cover 1973 - 1976.
In other words - 2 valve no rear wing, 2 valve rear wing and 4 valve rear wing.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Slarti - nice story! I did one of my super-searches and found these pics of Stuck in the half-liveried #30 battling with Jochen Mass in the #31 Ford Capri RS 3100, who would go on to win the race (1st pic by @wilhelm_wolfgang, 2nd by Walter C. Harbers, 3rd uncredited):
Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Thanks Scuddy, it's a Minichamps.
They did a series of the later model CSL, in IMSA, group2/DRM and Group 5.
The really nice AUTOart versions are from the earlier spec 1973 cars.
I speak only in relation to the all open Minichamps diecasts, the later sealed versions usually cover 1973 - 1976.
In other words - 2 valve no rear wing, 2 valve rear wing and 4 valve rear wing.
Sweet. Thanks, Slart (y)

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d leave the stripes off as that’s how it raced. Plus, it makes it quirky :)
I don't have any choice - there are no obvious sources for the stripes.
Anyway, I want to leave it in original condition as produced by Minichamps.
I just can't decide whether I prefer any model which seems to be 'incomplete'!
The covers over the headlights mask those irritating mounting stubs, so that's good.

Jersey, very many thanks for the images, they will now be kept on my drive - purely for reference of course....
BMW had to make some changes to the car when it came back from the US.
The third wing support had to be removed - group 2 rules insisted that only factory supplied parts could be used.
However, the rear window braces were left on, I guess a safety argument was made which was agreed on.
I also have the race winning Capri, also by Minichamps - which omits the dry break fuel filler holes in the bootlid.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I don't have any choice - there are no obvious sources for the stripes.
Anyway, I want to leave it in original condition as produced by Minichamps.
I just can't decide whether I prefer any model which seems to be 'incomplete'!
The covers over the headlights mask those irritating mounting stubs, so that's good.

Jersey, very many thanks for the images, they will now be kept on my drive - purely for reference of course....
BMW had to make some changes to the car when it came back from the US.
The third wing support had to be removed - group 2 rules insisted that only factory supplied parts could be used.
However, the rear window braces were left on, I guess a safety argument was made which was agreed on.
I also have the race winning Capri, also by Minichamps - which omits the dry break fuel filler holes in the bootlid.
One of things I am strict about is historical accuracy. occasionally I've turned down buying models - or at least severely downgraded my reviews of them - based upon manufacturers' failure to adhere to recreating easily researched features. My poster child for this is GMP's rendition of Dan Gurney's #36 Lola T70, which they market - and he actually ENDORSES - as a replica of his 1967 Riverside Times GP pole-sitting Mk. IIIB, when the model - in 1/18th AND 1/43rd - is very clearly a T70 Mk. II, which looks VERY different. And, no, I don't fault model companies from trying to stretch their use of the expensive molds as far as possible, but there are limits.

So I'm delighted to help you document your accurate Stuck-car. And consider that, If you ever sell it, you can include one or more of these pics in any ads you post to prove it's not a "factory second" or just badly made 😉.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of things I am strict about is historical accuracy. occasionally I've turned down buying models - or at least severely downgraded my reviews of them - based upon manufacturers' failure to adhere to recreating easily researched features. My poster child for this is GMP's rendition of Dan Gurney's #36 Lola T70, which they market - and he actually ENDORSES - as a replica of his 1967 Riverside Times GP pole-sitting Mk. IIIB, when the model - in 1/18th AND 1/43rd - is very clearly a T70 Mk. II, which looks VERY different. And, no, I don't fault model companies from trying to stretch their use of the expensive molds as far as possible, but there are limits.

So I'm delighted to help you document your accurate Stuck-car. Ans consider that, If you ever sell it, you can include one or more of these pics in any ads you post to prove it's not a "factory second" or just badly made 😉.
Ah yes, the Lola T70 thing reminds me of the Exoto Ford Cobra Daytona, it's one model in different schemes despite the fact that all of the cars were different.
Some slightly, some adjusted during the season and some, like CSX2299 had a different roof profile.
As for the BMW, it started the event with the stripes as these were on the car when it arrived from the US so I think with or without would be OK.
Unless the race day version is a definite requirement.
As for the Gurney endorsement, I hope he got paid before signing on the dotted line..... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why would you want change historic livery? There are plenty of 3.5 CSLs with the stripes, if that is what you want.
#30 Minichamps car is one of their most hard to find models of the CSL.
I don't want to change it, not least because - as you point out - they are very difficult to find now.
What I was trying to put across is that I don't know if I prefer the model as it is, or if it still had all of the stripes.
The car in question was brought back from the US, and before Peterson crashed it, it would have had all of the classic stripes.
Even if the additional stripes were included as decals in the box to return it to original condition - I wouldn't do it.
It comes in the box without the stripes, and I have no intention of trying to 'correct it', as the saying goes 'it's only original once'. :unsure:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't want to change it, not least because - as you point out - they are very difficult to find now.
What I was trying to put across is that I don't know if I prefer the model as it is, or if it still had all of the stripes.
The car in question was brought back from the US, and before Peterson crashed it, it would have had all of the classic stripes.
Even if the additional stripes were included as decals in the box to return it to original condition - I wouldn't do it.
It comes in the box without the stripes, and I have no intention of trying to 'correct it', as the saying goes 'it's only original once'. :unsure:
Gotcha. Yeah, I think its unique that MC chose to replicate it like that, but I think it is rather cool.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha. Yeah, I think its unique that MC chose to replicate it like that, but I think it is rather cool.
Perhaps they couldn't find images before the crash!
Ronnie did say (according to my BMW racing book) that the newer M88 engine was a bit heavier than the M49 he had experience of.
And that added to the tendency for understeer the CSL suffered from, having so much ahead of the front axle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts