DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Formula bridged the gap between the Firebird and the Trans Am, with quite a tasteful graphics package (for the time).

I've always maintained that the Eagle's Race Porsche 917 is the worst model in my collection (although it looks reasonably good sitting on the shelf and has a great livery (in my opinion), it's sealed, which is unforgivable. After taking a closer look at this mess from Ertl, I think it might well deserve that designation.

The overall shape of it, while not perfect, isn't too bad, but the hood is an absolute disaster. It should be relatively flat, but has a huge peak in the center. Also, the hood scoops are much too tall, and follow the incorrect contour of the hood. The panel gaps are very obtrusive, including the trunk lid, which doesn't open (I assume it does on the hobby edition, if one exists). The ride height looks to be too high, the rear spoiler fits terribly, I could go on but I think you get the picture. It's not all bad...the engine compartment and interior are average or better for a standard American Muscle model, but of all the models I own, this is the only one I'd absolutely recommend against buying. STAY AWAY!!!

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
And it looks like a girls car to :wink
I could just see some gal with hot pants and a Farah hairdo driving this one with some Bee Gee's blasting away on the way to the roller disco :giggle

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
That mold had potential, but they ruined it with that hood. You are right, the trunk opens on the Hobby LEs. You can get these to open, but there is no trunk pan in there.

I had been hopping for a Rockford Files version. :waiting

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
It's a bummer that Ertl didn't spend a little more time to polish this car off. If they have taken the time to get it this far, how much more attention to detail would it take to elevate a 'fairly' accurate car to a 'pretty' accurate car. Keeping in mind that budget cars are not going to 100% spot on, but very noticable things like the hood should be able to be closer to what on the 1:1.

Anyways, congrats on the get! Sorry to hear about the short comings but I'm assuming that if you want a '77 FB, this is the only game in town. Thanks for letting us know what we're in for should we ever have one of these on the radar!

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It doesn't look too bad John. The spoiler does have a bad fit and the hood scoops are bad! I could just never warm up to the Formula birds. I liked the clean, albiet low-budget styling of the Esprit, and the over-blown testosterone boy-racer looks of the Trans Am, but the Formula was what you bought when you didn't have enough money to buy a Trans Am. It looks like it was built with parts missing. . . :giggle :giggle

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Actually it does look that bad, Eddie lol. I should have included a pic that showcased the monstrous hood...here you go.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hmm. That hood is. . . way messed up. The scoops are really wrong, and way too big. The rear view mirrors are canted in, and they shouldn't be. The headlights look like they have gone bad, like on a 1:1 car. It looks like an old MPC model. . . They could have done better. :mob

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is hehe...it's too bad, because unlike (apparently) everyone here, I like the look of the Formula, especially in yellow.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I'd love to have a car like this FB, only in the black and gold like the Smokey and the Bandit car. That was the best color that car was produced in!!!

Sean

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aren't we funny today!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Lookey here, isn't it pretty? My sister had one, back in the day. I wanted to throw up every time I saw it. Horrible. Almost as bad as a Cougar "Night Cat." :sarcasm

Attachments

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it's better than the Yellow Bird.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Eddie, you gotta give us a warning post before posting something like this. Give us some time to turn down the brightness on our monitors!!! :lol

Sean

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Ain't that the truth! Actually, it is more like: "What are we going to do with this mold now that we got the "Bandit T/A" out of it.
If you look at the inside, you can see that the cut outs for the T-tops can be seen underneath.
They also used the same pedal set-up whether the car is an auto or a manual but the tranny on all of them is a manual. :giggle

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Ertl must had released two in the same color as mine has a different plate and the trunk opens. :confused

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.