DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my latest mod:
1:18 SunStar 82 Camaro. I bought this scale model since it's very similar to my 1:1. The original wheels and tires are way too narrow (as you can see in the 1st pic). If you scale it to real tire measurement, it's only about 185 width - even compact cars nowadays have wider tires! The car looks funny from the front / rear, and I can't stand it!

So, although the stock wheels have a good pattern and actually match the car quite well, I decided to replace them with 4th generation Camaro SS wheels from Welly 2002 Camaro SS (the SS itself has DUB wheels now). What do you think?

1/3

2/3

3/3

:danbanna :danbanna :danbanna :danbanna

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rvlyssup,

If you pry open the wheels black center cap (they're glued on the wheels, so do it carefully if you want to save them, but they should pop relatively easy), there are screws holding the wheels to the spindle. Using a small screwdriver, take that screw off, the wheels should have come right off.

On mine, I drilled small holes in the center of the SS wheels where those screws (longer ones) can go back in. And yes, they roll and steer like stock :)
What wheels do you have in mind??

·
Registered
409 Posts
tanayast said:
rvlyssup,

If you pry open the wheels black center cap (they're glued on the wheels, so do it carefully if you want to save them, but they should pop relatively easy), there are screws holding the wheels to the spindle. Using a small screwdriver, take that screw off, the wheels should have come right off.

On mine, I drilled small holes in the center of the SS wheels where those screws (longer ones) can go back in. And yes, they roll and steer like stock :)
What wheels do you have in mind??
Kewl and thanks.

I had a 1987 t-top Sport Coupe. Basically, a Berlinetta body style before the ground effects became standard on the RS and IROC Zs. I had 68-69 Corvette 15x8 Rallye wheels on mine. I plan on hopefully adapting a set on my model. I do have the 82 CHP Camaro that I am thinking about using either the Welly SS wheels or Maisto Z06 or GS wheels(front) all around. I used a set of the Welly SS wheels on my red Ertl 1996 Z28 convertible. I must say much better than the junk it came with.

:cheers

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi rvlyssup,

I love 3rg gen Camaro! I think they're better (way better) looking than the last gen Camaro.
Here's a picture of my 1:1. It's a 92 Camaro RS with 305 TBI.
Sorry if picture is a bit large.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts