DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, as it's a bit of an oddball, but I guess it classifies as a sports car. At any rate, I was re-photographing it so I figured I would post it.

Being that 'Back to the Future' is one of my all-time favorite movies, I almost couldn't believe it when I saw this on the market. I'm actually not fond of diecasts of movie cars - not sure why - so if it had actually been 'The Flux Capacitor', I probably wouldn't have bought it. But a plain-body version was too much for me to resist. I know the 1:1's were maligned but I always thought these cars were super cool, partly because they're so rare; the only one I've ever actually seen was in a museum. So I ordered this model immediately, regardless of the composite material or the price tag. I would say it was completely worth it, AA did a bang-up job as always. The detail and composition are immaculate inside and out, as I expect from them. And I love the quirky styling of the DeLorean anyway. Gullwing doors were enough! But also the front-hinged hood and the "hidden" engine in the back. The front end is eighties as hell, which appeals to me as an eighties kid. Wheels are always a big point with me too and I love these. The car is noticeably lighter than the diecasts and does have a distinctly plastic feel, so if that bothers you I wouldn't recommend it. But I believe that's its only downside. Otherwise, I give it five stars.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car
Vehicle Car Hood Laptop Bumper
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Vehicle Car Hood Tire
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood
Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tail & brake light Car
Grille Automotive tire Hood Bumper Gadget
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Toy
Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Car Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part Personal luxury car
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Automotive design
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car Automotive design
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car
Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car Tire

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nice buy! I've always had a fondness for it because of the BTTF franchise as I'm sure many others have as well. That movie turned Delorean's quirky, but ultimately footnote worthy, creation into a legend!

I also bought the recent AA version and it's fantastic. I don't mind it being composite as the finish on it is spectacular (the second run version that is not the first run which looks like chrome). AA really nailed it and I'm glad I got it. I also have the original Sunstar version which was also well done for its price point, but mine had a sloppy paint job that tarnished it for me.

The story behind the production of the car, and the demise of the company after so much British taxpayers money went into it are the stuff of a decent movie plot.
It is a crazy story! Crazier still when you realize this guy was once in the running to lead GM back when it owned so much of the market!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also bought this model sometime last year and generally like it very much. I bought it because it's a unique, historic vehicle. The composite plastic construction doesn't bother me, as all AUTOart models are that way now. The only thing I dislike about it is the rather delicate way you have to raise the cover over the engine with the small tool provided.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also bought this model sometime last year and generally like it very much. I bought it because it's a unique, historic vehicle. The composite plastic construction doesn't bother me, as all AUTOart models are that way now. The only thing I dislike about it is the rather delicate way you have to raise the cover over the engine with the small tool provided.
I agree, getting that engine cover open was tricky. Also, on my example, it doesn't stay open on its own, which doesn't surprise me. Thankfully I was able to keep it open by wedging it underneath the upper hatch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’m a huge DeLorean nut (although only have the Sunstar for some reason) and I always struggle with my love of the car. It’s a weird dichotomy, an absolutely terrible car I absolutely love. I had a few points in my life I could have likely bought one but didn’t. I feel like it would be meeting your heroes in that the “that is so cool” would wear out when it didn’t start for the fourth time, locked you in the car and you're sick of being passed in the slow lane for the 8th time in the past two minutes.

That being said, if I won the lottery it would be one of my first purchases and it would sit in my living room and I’d spend days getting into and out of it like Marty.

·
Shane Justshane
63 Posts
I have the composite version and the original diecast "stainless" version as well. I love theses models but I never understood why AA made the interior light tan. I thought DeLoreans were made with only black or gray interiors.

·
Registered
337 Posts
True! I'm surprised if nobody's made a documentary about John DeLorean, and if not, somebody should. I think it would be fascinating.
The Driven one was a more hollywoodised version of the story. Framing John DeLorean is an excellent documovie with re-enactments of incidents and also real footage and interviews.

lve always loved them, even prior to BTTF, although that only cemented my love. I still remember how disappointed I was when I found out how tepid they were. I have the Sunstar. It’s decent so I never bothered with the AA but I may have to check them out now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts