DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible ....by Greenlight

#183 / 500

This Corvette is my first diecast model made by Greenlight. I knew that for a "budget" line, their models were pretty good, but nothing they have made up 'till now, has interested me. I had to add this generation model into my collection.

It's been awile since I got a silver model (kinda sick of them) but it's the only color available. Now GL has announced that a black & a blue version, both also very limited, will be available soon……and from their website, seems like a gold one will be available too.

+

-Fully carpeted
-Nice engine
-Multiple colors will be available
-Nice touch of adding the front rotating in off position….they don't rotate but you can see them when the hood is open

-

-Hood need help to stay up (no rod)
-Hood has a light gap problem

Verdict
Nice job by Greenlight. You feel like you got a good quality/price model. Nice addition to any Corvette collection.

DX result: 6.5/10

My personal appreciation note: 7/10

****THUMBNAILS PICTURES****

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Congratulations, Jeff - is this off an Ertl or possibly Maisto mold or did Greenlight do their own?

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Why oh why can't we get a great C4????
This one looks a bit better than the Maisto and the Ertl but it still reeks of what could have been.

Great review, Jeff, the pictures really help a lot :cheers

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the sweet comments :cheers

I don't recall Etrl making this generation in other form then the targa top. I don't think they made a convertible one. So probably Greenlight made their own....

G

·
I don't know :confused

It looks rather awkward - but looking it over really good, it doesn't seem to a bad model at all.

Congrats on the new model.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Great pics as usual Jeff! :cheers It looks like it is marginally better than the Maistos specially the door hinges and the carpet but that is it.

This is a tooling that GL made from scratch as they have had tooling sample pictures of this on their website for a while. The main reason for this tool if for GL to make a '86 Indy Pace Car as no one has made one and they have the license to make all pace cars.

G

·
Al,

Do you know the scope of their license with the IRL(or whatever their name is these days) - is it just to produce the 86 Pace Car? or will they be producing all the Corvette Pace cars for the Indy 500?

I recall seeing a 86 Pace Car in kit form, but it wasn't that thrilling of a model for me personally - what do you gauge the interest to be on it?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
If I am not mistaken, a GL employee posted at the Pub that GL has the license to do all Indy Pace cars since GL is wholly owned by the same company that owns the track.
With this financial backing they can start on molds from scratch.

I would imagine that it will have a following like all Indy stuff does. Was this the yellow 1/24 plastic kit? I built one back in the day. :giggle

I have read this somewhere, but did every '86 Convertible, in every color, come with the Pace Car decal kit (in the trunk)? If so, GL can get some mileage out of this mold.

G

·
Al, it was a 1:24 kit.

Only the yellow 86 Convertibles came with decal kits.

I figure that will be the next version they make off this mold.

Personally, I hate the back end on these cars. I like the rounded rear ends much better. :eek:ops

That holds true in a lot of cases :lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.