DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Thanks for the additional pics Gunther. I need this car is so bad now.
BIN = Buy It Now. BIN is valid only before a bid is made on an auction item.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all...
I've added a new sharper picture of the engine and a picture taken through the gap in front of the windshield with the hood open.... :cheers

·
Registered
290 Posts
To be honest, I really dont understand the allure of these cars, other than the fact that they were the platform for the Touring Car racers. Was this a so-called giant killer of its day, or was the M3 able to run circles around it?

It seems to be a really detailed model of a car that I dont know much about. :confused

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
The interior looks amazingly well done!!!!

Congratulation!!!! :cheers

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I have an S50, but I never manage to get a very clear zoom..these are taken in macro modus, but the result is not good enough...I don't know what to do to prevent this.... :confused

·
Registered
760 Posts
You might be either too close or too far. Switch over to M (manual) on the spin wheel. Try using the manual focus (MF). I can't remember how to move around in MF, but I think it's the button above the word SET. Also try that in F8.0 (or whatever's the highest available), that should help your chances of the whole area to be in focus. Note that shooting in F8.0 (or the highest available) will require more light. If you don’t have enough lighting bump up the shutter speed, not sure what you’re currently shooting at, but my guess you’ll probably be around a second (1”) or more…

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm working in the M mode on F5.0 and 1/120, iso 400....but I'll try F8.0 ...thanks.. :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The project has an interesting story. This car was supposed to be MB's rally car, but while it was in development, Audi came out with the all-conquering Quattro 4WD, and MB couldn't compete with that. The rally car project was binned, but someone thought that it might make a good street sedan and even a racer. On race tracks (specially in Europe) it had a big amount of victories, and was a quite popular race car at the time.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the summer of 1983, the 190E 2.3 16V set out to break as many long distance high speed FIA records as possible at Nardo, Italy. After 202 hours of continuous running, multiple records were broken including the 50,000 km level at an average speed of 248 kph (154mph). Very impressive when you consider they had to stop to refuel, change drivers and service the car while the clock was ticking. During these endurance trials there were some minor aerodynamic modifications including removal of the mirrors and wipers. In addition, a lower rear axle ratio permitted a higher top speed but overall this car was almost stock and reflected well on the entire 190 series.

May of 1984 was a monumental time for the 16V. The brand new Nurburgring racetrack in Germany was hosting its first F1 race and a 190E 2.3 16V won the supporting race which was great public relations. Well actually, all the cars were identical 16V's driven by many former world champions, so a 16V was destined to win, but who's counting. Moss, Lauda, Prost and Hill were all beaten by a young upstart driver named Ayrton Senna as some of us F1 fans know went on to be a 3 time world champion.

The DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters) race series became popular around this time so Mercedes entered multiple cars after satisfying the rules stipulation that required 5,000 road going versions to be built. BMW entered DTM with its enthralling M3, which was a direct rival to the 190. Competition forced Mercedes Benz to enlarge engine capacity to 2.5 liters and eventually release a more advanced Evolution 1 and 2 versions with more aerodynamic aids and horsepower. At this point, the famous engine tuner, AMG, was called upon to create a team of their own. Mercedes and AMG went on to win over 50 DTM races and numerous titles, which solidified their dedication to motor sports, which lives on to this day.

complete text at GermanCarFans.com

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Thanks for that fantastic history lesson of the 190E Gunther. I really never knew that the car is so legendary except for seeing the few DTM races on tv. But to answer Stig's question on the allure of the Merc. There used to be this 190 which used to park in front of my school. That time I used to think its the most beautiful Mercedes ever made. And I still think its the most beautiful Mercedes sedan ever made. So for me this model is a must buy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.