DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've been at it again. I just can't quit modifying diecasts. I modded this one for the VP of our Corvette Club. He purchased a 2004 Commemorative Edition convertible new. After taking delivery, of it he purchased a stripe package like the ones available only on the CE Z06, and applied them. He also installed Chrome roll bars and European taillights along with a Corsa aftermarket exhaust system with GTR tips.

To exactly replicate his car, I started with the '04 CE Corvette Convertible in 1:18 scale by AutoArt. This is a very high quality car to begin with. The CE stripes are painted on with metallic Silver, semi flat Black and Red. I fabricated the chrome roll bars from a chrome napkin holder that I found at Wal-mart for 98 cents. The round bar stock that it was made out of was just the right diameter and already chrome plated.

I fabricated the exhaust tips from strips of .016" sheet aluminum. The European tail lights were duplicated by adding a carefully cut piece of Orange striping tape to each of the originals. And finally, I added his custom vanity plate. Can you tell he is an ex-drag racer?

Hope you guys like it. Thanks for looking. :cheers

Jon

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
IWAVE2 said:
I just can't quit modifying diecasts.
By all means...don't stop! It'd be great to see the pictures of the actual cars you're making modified diecast versions of, for those of use who aren't so familiar with American cars.

:nicejob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Derrick,

I actually just did the thin stripes in semi-flat Black. I had a tough time getting the paint to stick and everytime I would mask one color off to paint another, the tape would pull the first color off. I had to paint them three times! By that time, I was just glad to get the Black on there and didn't worry about trying to make it look like carbon fibre. I may go back and dry brush it with light gray to simulate the carbon fibre. Do you have any better suggestions that I might try? Thanks for asking.

Jon

G

·
I think the work you have already done is brilliant.

My only other suggestion, one I was thinking of myself. I saw a CE Kit that had the stripe package in it. Although it wasn't 1:18 scale, I am sure it would work just as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know Darrick,

I honestly didn't think of that. I could have gotten a 1:25 scale kit and scanned the decals, then enlarged them to 1:18 scale and printed them on White decal paper. That would have been a heck-of-a-lot easier! Sometimes I think I just like doing things the hard way :confused Thanks for the tip.

Jon

G

·
No problem - Its an idea I have been thinking of some time as I wanted to do a C5R like this.

Question though: Do you think the 1:25 scale will be too small. Theres not much room to work on the C5R, so I thought it would be just right.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
IWAVE2 ...you are a Master Customizer!!!! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

Every custom work you make amazes me :dizzy

Congratulation on this excellent work! :cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that the hood on the C5R doesn't have the usable real estate that the stock C5 hood does because of all the louvers. However, I personally think that the 1:25 scale decals would look to narrow for the 1:18 scale car.

If you have a scanner, you can create virtually any decal from a good quality original. I scan what ever image that I want to replicate and copy it to a Word file. Then I can resize it to what ever scale I need and print it onto decal paper. It works amazingly well.

Good luck with it.

Jon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. I always enjoy sharing my works with folks who can appreciate them. I have a couple more in the works and will post pics when I get them finished. :cheers

Jon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.