DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the new SLK. Both Mercedes and Maisto have inroduced serious improvements over their previous efforts. In fact, as far as the model is concerned, it could almost give Autoart a run for its money.

EXTERIOR: While I wanted the red version with the top up and red interior, this green one looked better-finished than the red one. I am pleased to have another green model in my collection, especially a green Mercedes. It is a nice change from the silver and black finishes that are so common on the real and model Mercedes. The paint is superb; well-applied, rich-looking, and shiny. The head and taillights are also well done. However, the lenses on the headlights are not completely flush with the body and both the head and taillights feature visible attachment stubs. Regrettably, the turn indicators on the mirrors and the decklid light are paint and a sticker, respectively. The shutlines, fit and finish and scale are all excellent. The neatest detailing is the wheels which are extremely accurate and finely detailed. However, the tires are not branded but they do feature a nice tread pattern. The exhaust pipes are correctly finished. 23/25

INTERIOR: Again, I wanted the model with the red interior. I am tired of the black and gray interiors (both in models and real cars). Nevertheless, this is a good effort by Maisto. The seats are nicely sculpted with a softish feel. No carpet is present, but the dashboard offers impressive detailing. The seatbelts are flexible, but are still attached to the seats. 23/25

ENGINE/FEATURES: The engine is fairly detailed. Modern cars are generally offering less and less detail and attractions in their engine bays and the models are reflecting this reality. The model features opening doors, hood, and trunk. The trunk features a folded convertible top (which does not function) but ads to the realsim and accuracy of the model. No carpet is in the trunk, of course. 24/25

VALUE: You can't beat KB Toys pricing! I paid about $18 for this and it is worth every cent. While a few details could have been done better, for this price, Maisto is truly the best budget manufacturer. 25/25

OVERALL: 95/100 (A)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wheels look like they're from the 350. Maisto did not put any badge on the trunklid or packaging to indicate which version it's supposed to be. The 200 won't be sold in the USA, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

G

·
I wondering MED as I have 2 maisto SLK's and they appear to have 4 cylinder engines (It looks different to all my V6 Benz units), but no mention of Kompressor, so this confused me. The review on 118motors.com refered to the new SLK as being a model of the 200, not 350 :confused

Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten us.

:cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.