DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much my only 'up-to-date' 1:18 driver theme is my Shane van Gisbergen theme. It helps that he's only been racing since 2008, mind you.

I'm a fan of his, and a big one at that - mostly because of how he drives. Some drivers (most actually) in the V8 Supercars series shoot for as clean a driving style as possible. But Shane's different in the sense that he throws the car around and abuses it more than others. He also races that way, occasionally getting himself into on-track strife. But by the same token, he's produced some of the most entertaining moments the category's seen. Such as the final few laps of the 2010 Gold Coast 600.

He's still the youngest full-time driver in the series - at 22 - but approaching 2011 most people were tipping him to be a championship chance. I was lucky enough to attend the New Zealand April Hamilton 400 round - a round where Shane's always had awful luck. Well after an awful Saturday race (which included half running-over a camera man in pitlane), Shane came guns blazing the following day - winning convincingly in front of the home crowd. If you watch the video below, I'm somewhere in the middle of the grand-stand at 0.43 - and you can tell just how intense the atmosphere was. All of us - myself included - were on our feet, going nuts

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aopyrCUn6Y

One of my shots of Shane's celebrations (Americans will be used to burn-outs, but they're a rare thing in the V8 Supercars. Bar the championship winners at the respective final rounds of years gone by, I can't think of the last time I saw a driver do fully-fledged burn-outs in celebrations).

Shane would also win race 2 at Hidden Valley, celebrating by sliding the Falcon all the way around the back section of the circuit (vid link should be found in the 'relateds' of the vids above). Shane would go on to finish 4th in the championship - his stats hindered by an unlucky endurance season.
I got back from a little holiday on tuesday to find a surprise package waiting for me from my retailer. Surprising since I hadn't even paid for it
Also surprising because dad and me were expecting one other particular box to arrive. Inside was the 2011 van Gis Falcon, plus some 1:64's and a 1:43 James Courtney Falcon. The van Gisbergen car though was the main draw-card.

Usually, Classics' V8 Supercars are hardy and reliable (well, they have been for the last few years). But the van Gisbergen here is anything but. The bonnet and decals are the questionable elements. For the first time in a long, long time (possibly, ever) the bulk of the decals on the model are waterslides. All other CC V8SC's I own have tampos, so it's a bit of a shock. I'm just hoping that the waterslides are unique to this car only, and not all their future V8SC releases. Some of the waterslides have already flaked a bit, and both main SP logos have strange black flecks in them. What annoys me about the bonnet is that it seems to be....bent....or something. When I push the front of it down flush, the back of it sticks up in the air several mil. And vice-versa. The hinges all round are also a bit suspect. The bonnet's ones are too loose (like an old 90's Bburago, where they wobble in every direction), the boot's one hasn't been greased, and the door hinges are far too tight. This all sounds a bit nit-picky I'm sure, but these are a $215 diecast. And expectations are for them to at least be as good as past releases.

Anyway, enjoy the shots (featuring all my other van Gisbergen 1:18 diecasts)

Thanks for looking

Matt.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
"What annoys me about the bonnet is that it seems to be....bent....or something. When I push the front of it down flush, the back of it sticks up in the air several mil. And vice-versa. The hinges all round are also a bit suspect. The bonnet's ones are too loose . . . "

Perhaps they were trying to replicate it's condition after he tried to re-arrange the boot of Whincup's Holden?

Thanks for the review, and the videos. It is really unfortunate that CC decided to cease exporting the Fords (and I realize it may not have been their call).

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Ooo, very nice. Love your pictures. The colors are eye poping. Seems like the Fords have the best liveries, but I'll never get one.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
I can almost hear the roar of the engines....not from the vids, but by looking at your 'starting grid' pics!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys

What year is the car on the end from?
[/quote]

That's his 2008 season car - his debut season. Best known for finishing on the podium at Sandown, and backing it up with an excellent 4th in the following race (great racing too - one of the good races of 2008. IMO 2008 and 2009 were low-points in the history of the championship, as far as good racing's concerned).

·
Registered
10,816 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments guys

Matt, they also stuffed up in that the triangular area immediately in front of the front door should be blue not black. Right next to the orange flash.
Yeah I mentioned that on Biante. They're all like that from what I've seen. The bit above the 'V8 Supercars' logo is like that too (except the opposite - blue instead of black).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts