DiecastXchange Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Administrator
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
It's a decent looking model, but those roof antennas look so bad!!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Like everyone else here, I'm a victim of the missing manufacturer links and don't have authority to access those showing up on Google so I've created this for CMR.

Like for so many more affordable model lines, I am very new to CMR. As a fan of racing history, I've watched their very appealing output, but, because most are sealed and resin, have yet to make a purchase. The closest I've come is their rendition of the gorgeous 1971 #18 Gulf Porsche 917LH, which I considered getting to be a companion-piece to my Minichamps #17.

Anyway, today I was browsing the weekly CK Modelcars email and saw something that startled me: announcements of several new CMR releases of Shelby Cobras, both 1965 Daytona Coupes and a roadster - all in diecast metal with opening features! I did some more checking and was astonished to find that CMR has previously released a number of race cars in diecast, not just resin, some with various degrees of working features.

All of which brings up a pet peeve about this hobby: retailers whose websites fail to mention what material models are made of and often whether there are opening features or not 🤬! I just looked at ads about the CMR Cobras on the CK Modelcars site and it has pics of the Daytona Coupe in multiple poses showing the opening doors, decks and such. At the same time on Mint Models' site, it shows one pic of the same model, and the text says it's "sealed'!

Anyway, this discovery falls under the "Things you did not know" category for me and I will be watching CMR's output with even more interest and might even sample a couple, considering their very low price points. More to come....!

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
I suspect the CMR cars are from one of these (sadly not Exoto!) - reissued.
They would appear to be a change of branding of the old Shelby Collectibles models.
I have posted a link to a Carmodel listing for the Daytona, showing who has produced one in the past.
It's probably not comprehensive....

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Thanks, slarti - good call. There are some minor differences but the interiors are EXACTLY the same. This is disappointing because, though I wasn't interested in the Cobras, already having several Exotos, I had hoped this was a sign that there was another manufacturer producing diecast full-featured racers. But you're probably right, they're just licensed relabels 🥺...

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Jersey, I would be delighted to discover a brand new opening diecast of the Cobra Daytona.
You mention differences - are any of them worth chasing with the 'upgrades'?
I have an ancient Road Signatures in red, and it's poor on detailing (such as solid chrome headlamps).

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Sorry, slarti, without seeing them in person I can't make any evaluation. To be honest, the Exoto Cobra Daytonas, while nicely done, are relatively early Exoto output and nowhere near the level of detail of their later, more advanced creations (and I'm not talking about XS models). I also don't know anything about a "Road Signature" model line so I'm the least qualified to offer an opinion.

Can any other DX'ers give their views on the various Shelby Cobra Daytona 1/18th diecast models out there, old or current?

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Jersey - Road Signature are a brand used by Lucky Diecast, and that in turn will be another branding excercise.
I originally thought the Shelby was a upgrade of the Road Signature, but a look at the 'A' pillars suggests otherwise.
On reflection I think the CMR was released around two years ago, but disappeared fairly quickly.
All releases suffer the same issue though (even the Exoto) of having one model representing the five cars.
The roof line of CX2299 is very different to the others, and each of those had minor differences during '64 and '65.
The race numbers on the original release CMR's was either too small or the wrong font style.
Copied from the Shelby versions.....

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, slarti.

Yes, I know about Exoto and others using a single mold for the bodywork of cars that were actually different. I doubt that there are many model manufacturers who have made multiple versions of the same car to mirror the genuine bodyworks of the 1:1s. Every company that issued multiple versions of Ferrari GTOs or Shelby Cobra Daytonas is guilty of that omission. GMP didn't bother to use different body styles for completely different Lola T70 types, using the same mold for Mk. 2, Mk. 3 and Mk. 3Bs models even though the latter type is significantly and visibly different from the other two.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
I am waiting for a CMR Daytona Coupe to arrive, but would like to do something about the race numbers applied.
Those used on the model are inaccurate in size and style.
I have looked through my stash of decals for a match for the font type as used on this car in period, and have come up blank.
Does anyone know of the font type as used on the car as pictured below - the number '2' in particular is quite unusual.

Vehicle Wheel Car Hood Tire

121 - 136 of 136 Posts