DiecastXchange Forum banner
481 - 500 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
i had over 40 cmc models, already sold most of them. older releases were fine, without any problems.
but some of the newest releases had major problems:
auto union #18, #111 and mercedes 300 sl from bern prix had zinc pest!!! front of the auto union even stared to deform after 1 year
tampo prints on ferrari 250 gto #19 are also not good quality. roudels for numbers yellowed after some time. do not have this problem on any model

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hi guys,

A question. Does the 1:1 250 California have a soft roof folding mechanism? Or is the soft roof just attached to the body like the hard top CMC has created?

Thanks!

I'm asking this because CMC indicated it's quite hard making a functional soft top for the Pullman, so I wonder whether CMC has skipped that for the 250 California.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Have the red California - it has no roof at all.
Neither hard nor soft top.
==> This image shows either a modification or is just a fake… :-(

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Have the red California - it has no roof at all.
Neither hard nor soft top.
==> This image shows either a modification or is just a fake… :-(
My question and the picture above relate to the 1:1

I have the 1:18 red one as well, no roof :) Your comment does show how realistic the CMC one is haha

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Well even a 1/8 California by Amalgam has the same issue.
And those are offered for more than 13 kEUR!

So in this case we shouldn‘t be too critical with CMC… ;)
A working AND good looking soft top in 1/18 really is a tough challenge I guess.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Well even a 1/8 California by Amalgam has the same issue.
And those are offered for more than 13 kEUR!

So in this case we shouldn‘t be too critical with CMC… ;)
A working AND good looking soft top in 1/18 really is a tough challenge I guess.
It would not be a issue if the 1:1 does not have a folding soft rood mechanism. Then both CMC and Amalgam did it correctly.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The 250 GT California SWB Spyder had a fabric top installed behind the seats which was tidy, and well proportioned when upright, but was made with no inner liner.

It would make absolutely no sense to try to have it functional on a 1:18, way to small. On a 1:8 maybe. The convertible top on the Pullman is more a proprer convertible roof folding mechanism and is already a challenge at this scale.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The 250 GT California SWB Spyder had a fabric top installed behind the seats which was tidy, and well proportioned when upright, but was made with no inner liner.

It would make absolutely no sense to try to have it functional on a 1:18, way to small. On a 1:8 maybe. The convertible top on the Pullman is more a proprer convertible roof folding mechanism and is already a challenge at this scale.
As mentioned by CMC Asia:
‘’During our development of the Ferrari California Spyder in 2012, attempts were made to develop a truly convertible canopy. In fact, the hardware of its metal bracket was completed, but it didn’t work well with the fabric top. Once mounted on the metal bracket, the canopy would not fold compactly enough for the soft-top to be truly retractable.’’

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The roof mechanism seems to work fine but they use a fabric that is too rough and thick and there isn't enough tension to make the closed roof look tight. Maybe a finer fabric having the ability to stretch could work better but I am not sure. I guess there is more work involved. Still I am not convinced the end result will be satisfactory.

·
Forza Ferrari!
522 Posts
I can imagine the difficulties of developing an 1:18 convertible roof. The fabric is always too thick. If you make it thinner it will likely tear. You need to take into account the rear window, which also obstructs the folding. The roof won't ever fold the exact same way as its 1:1 counterpart due to all this. I don't envy the engineers at CMC since it's a definite hell of a job.

481 - 500 of 506 Posts