DiecastXchange Forum banner
661 - 680 of 729 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm keen to see some more pics of the Alfa P3, a legendary racecar and worthy of a high end model. I've attached some pics of two of them in 1:1 that I was lucky enough to have a look at some years ago in my home town, the engineering up close is just exquisite, look and the axles, brakes, hubs etc...... just a work of art. And a deafening straight 8 noise to top it off. The No.12 car is Tazio Nuvolari's grand prix winning car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The CMC 300 SLR re-release is coming at a good time, now that the real car is about to generate publicity, as being the most expensive car ever sold. Hagerty is reporting Mercedes sold one of the two, for 142 million USD. Makes the 250 GTO look cheap now.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have read about these rumours but it seems still hard to believe. Can‘t imagine why Mercedes should do so?
But we will know soon:
The rumours also say that today there will be a celebration in Monte Carlo for the hand over of the car…

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are many reviews and comments on the CMC Facebook page of 275 GTBs with really bad defects. Many are saying that if you want one you should probably wait until CMC fixes these problems, much like the first batch of the 600 Pullman had defects.

Based on pictures I have seen on facebook defects include:

Paint chips
Ferrari photo-etched logos with some letters missing
one side window not closing correctly (bad panel gaps)
smear on the clear plastic of the front lens

It was so bad that CMC had to write a post explaining the difficulties they faced while making this model (kind of an apology of sorts).
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FCMCEnthusiasts%2Fposts%2F5371784376176718&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="766" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share

I really like CMC and wish them to succeed as they remain the last higher-end diecast company today, but with their constant price increases and lowering of quality it makes it harder and harder for me to compensate buying one of their new models. Just as an example, their Ferrari California is probably one of their best post-war models which had 1,634 parts. Their Ferrari 250 GTO had 1,841 parts. Even their Porsche 901 which also does not have wire wheels had 971 parts. Their new Ferrari 275 GTB has 781 parts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Personally, I think that CMC is in a very clear decline (quality of manufacture, finesse of realization, veracity or fidelity of the models) since the Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato (released in 2014 or 2015, I think).

Previously, their models were really exceptional. I am thinking in particular of the Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage which will remain, in my eyes, the pinnacle of what can be found in 1/18th scale. The Mercedes 300 SLR Roadster of the Mille Miglia and the Bugatti Type 57 SC Corsica were also magnificent models.

The curious thing is that from this Aston Martin onwards, the quality kept going down, the prices kept going up and speculation kept taking over. A strange paradox.

As for their long tirade on the difficulties encountered in making the 275 GTB/C, it is quite edifying. They admit to having mobilized 4 engineers, worked on it since 2018, they do not fail to praise their know-how and their mastery, to arrive at such a controversial result (I weigh my words...).

However, economically, they are right, since collectors are flocking to their new products. Many of them are complaining while continuing to order, so it is convenient for them.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Okay I see a few of you are wondering why the quality and parts count went down, so I'll explain. Several years back a model of theirs faced a return rate of something like 40%, according to a local retailer. I can't remember what it was - either the Mercedes truck or the Birdcage rolling chassis. It wasn't the first one to suffer from that either. Unfortunately when you have almost 2000 parts, it's a high probability that at least one will fall out. So the retailer said, as a way to combat this and improve shipping "survival rates", they were going to reduce parts count, which we're seeing now. It's as simple as that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
In itself, the reduction in the number of pieces does not bother me more than that. The sloppiness of the manufacturing quality (paintwork in particular), the approximate design of the body lines and some anachronistic aberrations on these classic models are much more annoying, in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
In itself, the reduction in the number of pieces does not bother me more than that. The sloppiness of the manufacturing quality (paintwork in particular), the approximate design of the body lines and some anachronistic aberrations on these classic models are much more annoying, in my opinion.
yeah I agree. While I don't collect CMCs anymore, at one point I did have ~25 of them and you're right, they did start to decline at the Zagato Aston

·
Registered
366 Posts
Before I sent mine back to Replicarz, due to a suspension issue, I noticed several little nuts that are meant to fit into plastic slots that prevent them from rotating when the screw/nut assembly is tightened. Half of those assemblies had the nuts sitting outside the slots, they weren't loose, but they were obviously not installed correctly.

·
Administrator
35,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #680 ·
I've not bought one of their models for years. I doubt I ever will again. I was pumped for the W100 600 but after seeing it I didn't get one. Luckily, the new Ferrari doesn't interest me.

661 - 680 of 729 Posts