DiecastXchange Forum banner
341 - 360 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The Maisto catalogue is a joke. Solido is walking all over them with their new releases and all that Maisto has to show are some looney 1/64s and decades old 1/18 after some brilliant new Mustangs and Corvettes. If they don't bring anything new to the shelves in 2022, they are in the running for the worst diecast company for this year.

·
Registered
BMW 135i
1,307 Posts
The Maisto catalogue is a joke. Solido is walking all over them with their new releases and all that Maisto has to show are some looney 1/64s and decades old 1/18 after some brilliant new Mustangs and Corvettes. If they don't bring anything new to the shelves in 2022, they are in the running for the worst diecast company for this year.
While I agree that Solidos recent offerings have been many, they're very hit or miss on quality. Every model I've gotten from them has paint issues. I love models with side windows but Solidos are very bad. Often times too thick, or the doors/trim don't cover enough and you see the harsh cuts of the window plastic (versus forming each window individually with no cuts)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
While I agree that Solidos recent offerings have been many, they're very hit or miss on quality. Every model I've gotten from them has paint issues. I love models with side windows but Solidos are very bad. Often times too thick, or the doors/trim don't cover enough and you see the harsh cuts of the window plastic (versus forming each window individually with no cuts)
That is true. Solido quality is rubbish. Atleast the 190E DTM car I have is utterly so. I am just hoping the Toyota Supra they have announced is a better effort than what they have come up with so far. Telling them anything on their facebook page is useless as their translator is broken.

·
Registered
BMW 135i
1,307 Posts
That is true. Solido quality is rubbish. Atleast the 190E DTM car I have is utterly so. I am just hoping the Toyota Supra they have announced is a better effort than what they have come up with so far. Telling them anything on their facebook page is useless as their translator is broken.
That's where I'm at with them. They seem to be shooting for quantity over quality. Not that Maisto is on a pedestal but I've never had the QC issues from Maisto that I do with Solido. Maisto may lack some details, but to me that's an easier base for a custom than something needing a full paintjob

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is true that some specific Solido's offerings lack some refinement and they are not at Norev level, just to use a benchmark of what I see as an upper quality level.

But for their price/quality ratio, they are simply unbeatable in the market right now, and fulfill a very important gap. It is possible that their current target audience could have simply left the hobby due to lack of alternatives.

And besides the quality, let's not even get to the discussion on the quantity. Judging by these rubbish catalogues which seem to be copied from 2012, Maisto/Bburago combined will have like 5 new releases this year. This is what Solido releases in one month only.

·
Registered
BMW 135i
1,307 Posts
It is true that some specific Solido's offerings lack some refinement and they are not at Norev level, just to use a benchmark of what I see as an upper quality level.

But for their price/quality ratio, they are simply unbeatable in the market right now, and fulfill a very important gap. It is possible that their current target audience could have simply left the hobby due to lack of alternatives.

And besides the quality, let's not even get to the discussion on the quantity. Judging by these rubbish catalogues which seem to be copied from 2012, Maisto/Bburago combined will have like 5 new releases this year. This is what Solido releases in one month only.
Solido doesn't match Maisto in quality. Sure, they beat them in quantity but I'd rather see them halve their offerings and do them better.

Luckily they both exist and don't seem to have any reason to step on each other's toes. So you can get a wide variety of poor QC models and then some of a narrower scope but overall better quality. I like.both companies, but for their own reasons. If their catalog was the same though, I'd choose Maisto every time

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Where I am, Maistos are 2/3rd the price of Solidos with twice the opening features, better overall detail and finish. So it matters all the more to me that Solido up the ante.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
I have several Solido models, and am not seeing any of the issues mentioned above.
Disappointing are the wheels and tyres on my group A Sierra RS500, which will need to be replaced.
It was bought to strip down and repaint anyway, but there are no issues with what is there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did no one notice the 1/18 Lamborghini Countach LPI800 in the Maisto catalogue? I'm very excited for that one. The Maisto/Bburago Lamborghini Sian is a great model so if its anything like that it'll be fantastic.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I bought only 1 solido GT500 in green color, 2 months back. It has very rough finish. i am not at all happy. Opening doors alone is fine. But the model it self is not good overall. disappointed.
i was actually somewhat tempted by the Solido's GT500 offering what did you find that disappointed you? I did notice on some product photos that the door panel gap seems either uneven or bit too wide.

Did no one notice the 1/18 Lamborghini Countach LPI800 in the Maisto catalogue? I'm very excited for that one. The Maisto/Bburago Lamborghini Sian is a great model so if its anything like that it'll be fantastic.
I definitely be looking forward to one when they hit Costco later this year (hopefully) I am not too invested in modern Lamborghinis or supercars in general but definitely won't miss the chance to get one or two if they are affordable. I bought Sian and the GT vision couple months back and i am quite impressed with them.

341 - 360 of 369 Posts