DiecastXchange Forum banner
781 - 800 of 804 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
My favourite has to be the pale green #15 1962 Goodwood TT winner

· Registered
1,465 Posts
The Swedish team blue/yellow Targa Florio 1964 and the green 1962 Goodwood Moss/Ireland are also my favorite.

How faithful they will be to the race day cars remains to be seen. The nose is still wrong though. But I am sure they will be very popular.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Is there any info on that? Are we sure that CMC is taking back its old mold?
CMC did a video presentation today. Little information was shared about the 250 GTO but they shown a diecast body where we can see additional vents in the front. Problem is that vents dimension & location can vary quite a lot from S/N to S/N. No mention if they would correct the nose shape. But knowing CMC probabilities are high they won't update it.

· Registered
3,853 Posts
Pass. I'll hold out for the Kyosho re-issues.
We're on the same page here, Red.

I would love to have the 250 GTO in plain red but this shape issue is too obvious with a plain livery.
Had the original plain red one and couldn't enjoy it.
At the end it was sold and swapped against the LM #19.
Here the wrong shape seems not that striking to me and I can enjoy the model.
But I do not feel the need for another race livery on top (especially at a price tag of 650-700€!).

So I put all my hopes on Kyosho...

· Registered
3,853 Posts
CMC did a video presentation today. Little information was shared about the 250 GTO but they shown a diecast body where we can see additional vents in the front. Problem is that vents dimension & location can vary quite a lot from S/N to S/N. No mention if they would correct the nose shape. But knowing CMC probabilities are high they won't update it.
Do you have a link for the video?
Couldn't find it on CMC's homepage... :(

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Here is the body sample shown in the video above (Image grab). They seem to plan some adaptions to the mold. While it is technically possible to have a few interchangeable mold inserts for different front opening configurations I express doubts they will match the configuration of each specific 1:1 S/N.

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Another example; on some 250 GTO the rear spoiler is a separate riveted part and on others it is an integral part of the body. There are many subtle difference between the 10 planned cars and CMC existing mold base that most likely won't make it to the models.

· Registered
346 Posts
They managed to offer Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato with different fronts, it should also be possible on the Ferrari 250 GTO.
What's more, in addition to the oval shape of the grilles, the additional lights and the small vents that vary, the Norinder from the 1964 Targa Florio (M-252) has, on its bonnet, the central air intake of the three that is longer than the other two. It is characteristic. If CMC refrains from realising this difference, you might as well forget about this model (BBR did reproduce this difference).

· Registered
5,165 Posts
The Kyosho is really good. Not as detailed, but accurate and very nice looking. I picked it over the CMC as I couldn't get over the CMC's shape.
I agree - I have four of them. And from the photos I've seen, the re-releases will be modeled after Kyosho's "high-end" versions, not the ones with the plastic hood straps, which I'm pleased about...

· Registered
96 Posts
The body sample in the video is definitely not based on the previous release.

But...

The notion of CMC's 250 nose being >>wrong<< is so prevalent here that I used to treat it like a cosmological constant. Until I browsed their 2023 PDF with the real life pictures of all 10 variants.
They're all a bit different. Not just in openings, the whole fronts are longer/shorter, more/less slanted, curved, chiseled, you name it.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Regardless of CMC reproducing or not reproducing the period-correct differences... Which one of them is the right one? Have they ever been uniform?

Nothing to say against re-issuing older models with new liveries.
But this is easy and lazy - just skimming the market with minimal effort.
I've had the same assumption, but it turns out the've reengineered a lot of things in 300 SLR and listed them all with extensive explanations. Definitely not an easy and lazy job.

I had to quickly part with the red 275 GTB/C M-210 after I received it, as I couldn't stand the sight of its ugly rear window seal. If new editions of the red M-210 or the yellow M-240 came out with the same correction on this point as their Le Mans version, I could buy it again, but without that, it's really not possible.
What do you mean by the same correction? I know they've had a problem with inserting the seal and smearing black outline over the paint and worked their way around it since, but at least the red one I've seen doesn't look 'ugly' like the preproduction samples. + I've seen a non-restored 275 in Louwman and this car really has the most protruding seal of all 😁 So I'm wondering how much of the criticism stems from our assumption of what it should look like and how much from the reality?

· Registered
431 Posts
Which one of them is the right one? Have they ever been uniform?
No, they have never been uniform, and even among collectors of the real 36 cars, there isn't a definitive one GTO out there.

Btw, in your picture, the third one from the right is a 330 LMB... doesn't really belong with the GTOs, even if it has a nose like one. A lot more rare though, only four ever built.
And the first one from the left (with the chrome trim around the ellipsoidal side light) is a 330 GTO. It is often included because it looks so much like the 250's.

how much of the criticism stems from our assumption of what it should look like and how much from the reality?
I agree, the trim is very pronounced on the real car and even CMC's early production models are closer to the real thing that what any other model maker has produced.

· Registered
346 Posts
What do you mean by the same correction? I know they've had a problem with inserting the seal and smearing black outline over the paint and worked their way around it since, but at least the red one I've seen doesn't look 'ugly' like the preproduction samples. + I've seen a non-restored 275 in Louwman and this car really has the most protruding seal of all 😁 So I'm wondering how much of the criticism stems from our assumption of what it should look like and how much from the reality?
Indeed, the correction on the Le Mans car is perhaps "too perfect" compared to the real car, but it's less shocking in 1/18 scale, I think. That being said, I may have come across one of the very first models produced, as the one I had was also like the prototype, i.e. particularly ungainly, on this point. I'll soon know, as I've ordered another one and am waiting for it to be delivered. We'll see how it turns out.

· Registered
346 Posts
The body sample in the video is definitely not based on the previous release.

But...

The notion of CMC's 250 nose being >>wrong<< is so prevalent here that I used to treat it like a cosmological constant. Until I browsed their 2023 PDF with the real life pictures of all 10 variants.
They're all a bit different. Not just in openings, the whole fronts are longer/shorter, more/less slanted, curved, chiseled, you name it.

View attachment 288780

Regardless of CMC reproducing or not reproducing the period-correct differences... Which one of them is the right one? Have they ever been uniform?
This is the difficulty, if we want to be relatively realistic. It is, if not impossible, unlikely that CMC would adapt the muzzle of their mould to match the chassis number presented. That's why, for my part, I think I'll avoid the race livery and prefer the plain red M-256. It's more likely to match one of the chassis whatever it is.

781 - 800 of 804 Posts