DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, buying two models of the same car is something I never do. Not sure why, but I always feel like I want to collect one of everything before I start repeating. So while there are some cars that I have represented in multiple generations, I've never had any "twins"...until now. I bought my AA Century back in 2019 and it was, at the time, something I'd never seen or heard of before. (A link to the review I did of the AA can be found here: 2018 Toyota Century - AUTOart) 'Toyota compared to a Rolls-Royce' was what hooked me, but also just the looks of it, inside and out: a nicely streamlined body for such a big car and a lovely interior. Also, not only is this Toyota's home-state flagship sedan, but it's a Japanese imperial limousine, used to chauffeur dignitaries! It has been a prized possession so far, but I have decided to sell the ol' AA in favor of this beautiful new LCD model, just because the latter is just nicer. That says nothing against AUTOart; it comes down partly to diecast vs. composite (composite's no game-changer for me but I like metal!) and the LCD also has a bunch of fun features that the AA does not offer: Namely: sliding front seats, folding rear center console, opening filler cap cover, folding side mirrors, removeable engine cover, and a removeable spare hidden beneath the trunk! Also, though the LCD Century is slighty taller, it seems more proportionate than the other one somehow. The AA always seemed boxy to me. I also love the color: officially, according to LCD, it's "maroon dark red" but I would call it burgundy.
At any rate, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get some pics of these two together, as well as new pics of the LCD.

Vehicle Car Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Grille

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

· Premium Member
695 Posts
It's a great add and comparison @Scottimus! I'm getting the compulsion to add one and would lean LCD as well based on the additional features. I prefer the sharpness of AA's composites, not sure if it is as noticeable on the Century as it is on some of their other releases, but all the features LCD includes convinces me.

So, buying two models of the same car is something I never do. Not sure why, but I always feel like I want to collect one of everything before I start repeating.
I'm the same way unless I'm upgrading in which case the older one goes. Just too many great diecasts to add!

· Registered
3,922 Posts
Some very impressive features on the LCD Century and I love that the seats are not faux leather as per the 1:1s. Seen a couple of older Centurys on Australian roads and whilst they don't have the 'pressence' of a RR - I love that only those that know will double check these grand Toyotas

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some very impressive features on the LCD Century and I love that the seats are not faux leather as per the 1:1s. Seen a couple of older Centurys on Australian roads and whilst they don't have the 'pressence' of a RR - I love that only those that know will double check these grand Toyotas
Actually, I hear the standard interior on the 1:1 is wool, but you can opt for leather if you want :)

· American Expat In Europe
13,373 Posts
Congratulations Scott! The LCD is just "Splendid" IMO!! The model itself seems so real and OMG does it feel great in your hands or what? Like you said, it doesn't take away from AA, but I feel that it exceeds and stands where AA should be in 2023 Materials/Accuracy/Details/Functional Features Wise. Not to mention that it far undercuts the AA by price, while offering significantly more in all aforementioned areas.
I am so glad to see you post a side by side with these two! It really highlights how well LCD-Models stands up to a longtime member in the miniature cars game. Thanks for sharing this in-depth review. P.S. I didn't even realize that the spare was removable! 😲 Thanks for that info!! CHEERS!🥂

· Registered
226 Posts
Smoothness of the paint is one reason I decided to keep my AA rather than replacing it with the LCD. I haven't yet seen a diecast come close to AA composites in paint smoothness. AA is also really good with small exterior details. The chrome wheel well trim and taillight trim are noticeably thinner on the AA and closer to the proportions of the 1:1. The rear window defroster gridlines are also finer on the AA, though both are probably a bit thicker and stand out more than the 1:1.

The LCD definitely blows it away in features and sheer amount of detail under all the opening panels. I love that the trunk has a simulated latch and a teensy weensy trunk close button complete with car icon. The AA door panels aren't furry, I believe LCD got that right as it looks like same material as the seats on the 1:1. That burgandy is a beautiful color, I think the AA only comes in black & silver (and white for GRMN).

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't Aa's paint better? It looks better to me in the pictures. As 1:1s paint quality is something Toyota obseses over to unimaginable extent, that'd be a strong selling point to me.
I can't disagree! I believe one of AA's biggest calling cards is their paint quality, it's almost unmatched IMO. But that wasn't enough to swing me this time.

The paint on my black LCD is smooth as hell. I have the black AA GRMN, I should put them side by side
...However, that's an excellent point right there. Impressive!

· Registered
96 Posts
To be fair, it's probably impossible to match a well painted composite with die-cast metal as the latter needs to be thicker, so it has a different reflective quality by design. What I meant was uniformity and the general quality of the coating because it looked like LCD could have been better at it, but maybe it's just the magnification. Cheers!

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be fair, it's probably impossible to match a well painted composite with die-cast metal as the latter needs to be thicker, so it has a different reflective quality by design. What I meant was uniformity and the general quality of the coating because it looked like LCD could have been better at it, but maybe it's just the magnification. Cheers!
It may have been the magnification. I had some harsh overhead lights and I was trying not to put the cars directly underneath because of glare. But they definitely did a clean paint job. I give that high marks, like everything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts