DiecastXchange Forum banner
841 - 860 of 881 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I believe a 2.3 is on its way :)

I wonder whether - as it did with the R129 SL - Norev will offer a later version, with the lower body mouldings and a different set of wheels? Suspect not, though.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Just looking at the 190 again. Not sure the under bonnet insulation pad is correct for a 2.0 petrol (maybe it is for that specific year) but it’s got the full length pad that you’d see on the diesel or the 2.6; the 2.0 only has a small pad that covers the brake servo, battery, fuse box etc behind the bulkhead - it doesn’t run the full length of the bonnet.

Also noticed that the rear parcel shelf has no speakers (could be ok; they were probably an option knowing Mercedes), but it is lacking the access cover to the cubby that houses the first aid kit that all the cars had.

I just wonder whether compared to Norev’s excellent W123, this one may feel like Norev has cut a couple of corners. We’ll see :)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I see the model in the video has a catalytic converter.
Would this be correct for a car of this time period?
Such things didn't really become a requirement in Ireland until around the late 90's.
I know there is a big push to clean up the atmosphere, but static models don't need one..... :>)

·
Registered
872 Posts
So I ordered the limited edition Porsches last week and received them today. In case you're in doubt whether or not to get these: don't. Build quality is really, really poor and the paint job is quite disappointing. Major lack of details as well, definitely not worth the money.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
CRZ - I had the same problem with a VW Beetle 1303 in orange.
Compared to the red one I already had, mine was a big disappointment.
I sent it back although the replacement was better - but not much.
On the other hand my recent Mercedes 200T estate model was fine, with none of those issues....
With the Beetle I told Norev I was unhappy that a limited edition was less impressive than a mass produced version.
Naturally the reply was the usual corporate PR bull.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I see the model in the video has a catalytic converter.
Would this be correct for a car of this time period?
Such things didn't really become a requirement in Ireland until around the late 90's.
I know there is a big push to clean up the atmosphere, but static models don't need one..... :>)
I think the 190 was engineered such that a cat could be retrofitted. Maybe the 190 Norev chose to model lives somewhere where a cat is now a requirement; it may not have left the factory with one. I think cats became a requirement in England in the early 1990s.

·
Administrator
33,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
I'm still waiting on their Renault Clio Williams rally car and their Renault Estafette service van in Orange!!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That’s a very handsome, clean looking car. Not sure it should have that tiny piece of horizontal window trim extending beyond the door mirror. I don’t remember them having that. Could be wrong though.

should be like this:

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Administrator
33,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 ·
Yep, that ruins it! I know that no model is ever perfect, that mistake is bad.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Yep, that ruins it! I know that no model is ever perfect, that mistake is bad.
Yep. It’s particularly bad on that car as the 124s have nothing on them design-wise that is superfluous or a design flurry. There is nothing there that shouldn’t be there. That’s why that bit of trim leapt out instantly; there’s no way a 124 would have that trim, which is why I checked. I’m not sure it’s a deal breaker for me… I wonder whether a dab of silver paint can correct that?

·
Administrator
33,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #860 ·
Yep. It’s particularly bad on that car as the 124s have nothing on them design-wise that is superfluous or a design flurry. There is nothing there that shouldn’t be there. That’s why that bit of trim leapt out instantly; there’s no way a 124 would have that trim, which is why I checked. I’m not sure it’s a deal breaker for me… I wonder whether a dab of silver paint can correct that?
That's the thing, we shouldn't have to do that. I'd rather not buy the model. I get it a lot with most models "if you just did this to it" I don't agree with that, the makers out to be looking at what they are making and then looking again before signing off on them.

841 - 860 of 881 Posts