DiecastXchange Forum banner
481 - 498 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
I would much prefer Minichamps concentrate on classic BMW's in all open format.
They did a really great job on the shape of the 635, but now we need a detailed version.
For me 95% of BMW's since the mid 90's are of no interest, and as for the recent buck tooth versions - no way José!
Some new shapes can grow on a person over time, I just can't see it happening to me with these things - they still make me shrink in horror. :LOL:
Too many of their modern stuff is hugely mass produced, with little chance of future 'classic' status.
I like to look at TV shows where cars of the past are repaired, cared for and then auctioned.
It may be just me, but I can't see any of these things ending up anywhere other than the crusher.

·
Super Moderator
12,856 Posts
Thanks for sharing this David. The new big nose BMW divides opinion among BMW enthusiasts but I must say for myself, after recovering from the initial shock I kinda like it now and being fully open is great! Not a fan of the wheels personally but overall model looks pretty sweet.
Simon, model wise, these ae so spot on!! Glad that they are being produced fully opening! 😊

·
Super Moderator
12,856 Posts
I would much prefer Minichamps concentrate on classic BMW's in all open format.
They did a really great job on the shape of the 635, but now we need a detailed version.
For me 95% of BMW's since the mid 90's are of no interest, and as for the recent buck tooth versions - no way José!
Some new shapes can grow on a person over time, I just can't see it happening to me with these things - they still make me shrink in horror. :LOL:
Too many of their modern stuff is hugely mass produced, with little chance of future 'classic' status.
I like to look at TV shows where cars of the past are repaired, cared for and then auctioned.
It may be just me, but I can't see any of these things ending up anywhere other than the crusher.
Yeah, I too think that it's a waste that Minichamps didn't open their great looking 635 and some other models in general. a real pity.

·
Super Moderator
12,856 Posts
Looks very good, Minichamps said the carbon pattern would be refind since this is only a prototype. To be preordered for $236 ex shipping. Same goes for the other models like the M4 safety car. Pretty expensive for a Minichamps if you ask me. Nevertheless, I will definitely be getting this.
Yes, Kinda' Pricey, but I so want these!! So, I am preordering as well! 😊

·
Administrator
34,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
From a design POV, the G8x cars are a disaster in the front. It looks like it was designed by five different teams that didn't like each other. Truly the first M car I don't want in my cabinet
100% !!! The side profile of the M4 is awful too! I warmed to the Lamborghini Veneno and quite like it now, I doubt I will ever warm to these.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I’m not a fan of them either, but this reminds me a lot of the storm that was kicked up when the Bangle 7 series and 5 series were launched 20 or so years ago. They weren’t liked much either, but at least the 5 matured and still looks good today. Will the same be true of these cars? Let’s see in 20 years… when we’ll be having the same discussion about the 2042 model year BMWs :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I’m not a fan of them either, but this reminds me a lot of the storm that was kicked up when the Bangle 7 series and 5 series were launched 20 or so years ago. They weren’t liked much either, but at least the 5 matured and still looks good today. Will the same be true of these cars? Let’s see in 20 years… when we’ll be having the same discussion about the 2042 model year BMWs :)
Probably, because the BMWs of 20 years from now will be so much worse!

Bangle's BMWs really weren't that great, I loved his FIAT Coupe though, but next to today's huge-grilled, 90s JDM coupe styling BMWs they look classy!

BMW haven't made a good looking car since the E46, imo.

M

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Probably, because the BMWs of 20 years from now will be so much worse!

Bangle's BMWs really weren't that great, I loved his FIAT Coupe though, but next to today's huge-grilled, 90s JDM coupe styling BMWs they look classy!

BMW haven't made a good looking car since the E46, imo.

M
I agree. It’s the sliding scale of what’s acceptable and what you get used to. I used to think the original Cayenne looked horrendous; when I see one now against today’s monsters, it looks pretty innocuous. I shudder to think what cars will look like in 20 years. :)

·
Registered
BMW 135i
1,326 Posts
HMMM I wonder which purple the 992 Turbo is going to be. I assume Ultraviolet but it would be cool to see some lesser travelled colors. Seems they can just make the regular Porsche releases in the same colors over and over. I'd like to see Amethyst

edit: I guess it's most likely UV. The two BMWs show "light blue metallic" so if it were Amethyst or something else it would likely be more specific

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I agree. It’s the sliding scale of what’s acceptable and what you get used to. I used to think the original Cayenne looked horrendous; when I see one now against today’s monsters, it looks pretty innocuous. I shudder to think what cars will look like in 20 years. :)
Two possibilties. They will either look like those uber cool looking futuristic cars in i-Robot.. or the sad yet comical looking taxi cab in the original Total Recall. :LOL:

·
Administrator
34,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·
The 992 sounds pretty cool! I'm quite intrigued by the BMW's too. I would love an opening E39 though, either M5 or a 540i with the M Parallel wheels.

481 - 498 of 498 Posts