DiecastXchange Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Model of the Year - Worst/Most Disappointing Model Company of the Year.

The rules:
  • Each model must match the category it is entered. It is not my responsibility or the mods to figure that out for you.
  • Every nomination will be accompanied by one (1) non-copyrighted image of the model. Pictures from manufacturers are OK, resellers pictures are allowed this year providing they haven't got large watermarks on them, or a watermark right across the model. You your own pictures or another members if they are OK with that
  • Maximum picture size will be 1024 X 768
  • Each model must be released in the year 2021..........not December 31st 2020 or on its way to retailers on the 31st of December 2021. It must be released and available to the public within the 2021 year.
  • There will be a budget Classes and high-end Classes nomination thread for each; this is for the retail price, not a special deal you got through a seller or manufacturer, don't try and sneak a CMC Maserati in the budget category
  • Each category must have at least five (5) nominations or I will start a voting thread.
  • Any nominations that does not follow the previously mentioned rules will not partake in the voting
The most important rule
  • Enjoy and please participate. This is what will make this event a lot of fun. And keep all discussion about the models, not tastes. We all have our favorites marques, but this is about the best model, not car.
Thank you all for reading & hopefully this year we can beat last years participation

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Minichamps or/and Kyosho for re-releasing some of their decade old models with no upgrade or even downgrade (e.g. Minichamps BMW 5 and 7 series).
Their new models using new molds are either less desired subject matters or relatively low quality ones (e.g. Kyosho Jaguar e-type) or sealed.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Minichamps and Kyosho take the Razzies hands down. Kyosho might be having their hands in other pies but Minichamps needs to reinvent itself like Solido did. Their current models simply don't have the desirability that was there in the likes of the Porsche 956 and Mercedes Benz 300 SEL race cars.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 for Kyosho as mentioned by @ferrariforever (Minichamps I (very) rarely order, so can't say from personal experience, but understand).

And I like to nominate BBR for their continuous announcements of models which never get released (e.g. Eva Peron 356), but of course they are happy to take pre-payments. As well as for their continuous practice of releasing a 'limited series model' and then releasing another batch of the exact same model, but then with a different colour gearknob (exaggeration for dramatic purposes), and listing it as a new 'limited series model' (with its own model code)

·
Administrator
34,158 Posts
I'm going with Almost Real. I know most of you will disagree, but I expected a lot more from them. I thought they'd be some real competition for AutoArt, but it seems not.

So,
Almost Real.

·
Administrator
34,158 Posts
+1 for Kyosho as mentioned by @ferrariforever (Minichamps I (very) rarely order, so can't say from personal experience, but understand).

And I like to nominate BBR for their continuous announcements of models which never get released (e.g. Eva Peron 356), but of course they are happy to take pre-payments. As well as for their continuous practice of releasing a 'limited series model' and then releasing another batch of the exact same model, but then with a different colour gearknob (exaggeration for dramatic purposes), and listing it as a new 'limited series model' (with its own model code)
I'll second the BBR nomination, I was really pumped when they announced they would be making the Italian Police Ferrari 250. It came out & they missed the side / door mirror off of it. That made me not want to buy it.
Tecnomodel managed to put it on, but I don't like the window foils / surrounds on theirs.

Not only that, they seem to be first to the market with their models, but they aren't always the nicest. I've not bought one of them for a while now.

·
Administrator
34,158 Posts
I'll go with the Minichamps nomination too.

I used to like their 1/43 models & started out with those. I still have some. What annoyed me was their release of the Porsche 992 GT3. So far, I think it has only been released as Dealer Editions - sellers are reporting that over half of them have some fault or other. The faults vary, but it seems like they were rushed to the market.
They also cost about £70 most of the time, some sells in the £100's and I don't think they look that good!:poop:

The 1/18 of their 992 GT3 annoys me too, there are barely any for sale & resellers are getting crazy money for models that were not that cheap to buy in the first place. The Blue Dealer Edition car seems to regularly sell for £500 o_O I know that Minichamps don't have any control in the reseller market - but I think they have caused the pricing issue due to the lack of supply.(n)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I nominate Minichamps and Almost Real.

Most of their 1/18 range is sealed with subpar detail. They have nice shapes, but there's no excuse for visible headlight pegs on a sealed model that retails for $100+ USD. Their re-released opening BMWs are also disappointing and waaaay overpriced (and with visible headlight pegs again :mad:). If Otto made the same models, I'd pick them every time and get better detail and save some money.

The sad thing about Almost Real is that their Zonda is truly beautiful, it just took them forever to get the product to the market, they're aren't enough colors and they failed at the price promised. The Land Rovers looked amazing, but most of us were hoping for Zondas and other exotics - as Craig said, we wanted to see a true AUTOart competitor.

Most of us are going to die of old age before we ever see that opening Jaguar C-X75.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'll go with the Minichamps nomination too.

The 1/18 of their 992 GT3 annoys me too, there are barely any for sale & resellers are getting crazy money for models that were not that cheap to buy in the first place. The Blue Dealer Edition car seems to regularly sell for £500 o_O I know that Minichamps don't have any control in the reseller market - but I think they have caused the pricing issue due to the lack of supply.(n)
This is why Minichamps gets my vote. The 992 GT3 is arguably one of the biggest departures in 911 styling from Porsche in 15 years. I'm baffled that they haven't produced or even announced hobby edition releases for this car. The dealer edition colors aren't special and they're scalped to hell now anyway.

·
Administrator
34,158 Posts
This is why Minichamps gets my vote. The 992 GT3 is arguably one of the biggest departures in 911 styling from Porsche in 15 years. I'm baffled that they haven't produced or even announced hobby edition releases for this car. The dealer edition colors aren't special and they're scalped to hell now anyway.
100%! I think even at the MRSP price (whatever that was) it was way too much, the Minichamps Turbo S 2020 Hobby models are circa 100 EUR, but the GT3 was (I think) three times that price because it's a DE one :rolleyes: that's crazy!

What I also found strange was that Spark have the Porsche 992 licence too, the Oak Green Turbo S is made by them. I don't get it!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Not surprisingly Minichamps continues to receive the worst model maker nomination no doubt they will win again LOL
I don’t think I bothered with them in recent years the last few Minichamps I bought if I remember correctly are the sealed Volvo 240GL, Bentley Continental R type and Mark 2. Their Bentleys and RRs with opening feel flimsy somehow.
The BMW 535i was definitely the one model I was looking forward to but looking at the end product with the visible headlight pegs and the overall underwhelming vibe does somehow turn me off especially considering I would likely pay $300AUD to get one.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I have to say this.

We put Minichamps on this list every year, and it either wins or comes close. After all these years, why are we still disappointed in them? Aren't we just holding on to a time long past? Are we expecting too much?

At this point Minichamps isn't disappointing. This is who they are. They are shit.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Also, not sure I find BBR disappointing. While a couple models have not released as we hoped (I have the same Porsche on pre-order). They have also released a bunch of models shortly after their announcement. Sometimes too fast for me to make the purchase before they sell out.

And yes, re-releasing a model 10 times over with small changes is annoying, but at least they re-release models! You get a second or third shot at a model. I was able to pick up the SP2 Monza this year after missing out on the earlier releases. They also re-released a few F12Berlinetta's? Ferrari has not made the F12 for a while and BBR made a few more for us collectors. That is awesome!

As for the 250 Police car, I understand. But, I have seen photos of the real car with two different mirrors and without. So, is it wrong? Or has it just changed a few times over the years?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
As an aside… I’m still baffled as to why the wipers on the re-released 5 series are now positioned on the other side of the car. Minichamps went out of its way to put them on the wrong side? Why would you do that?

·
Administrator
34,158 Posts
I agree that Minichamps should have a lifetime shite achievement award! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It's a real shame though! They did make some decent models, but not for a long time really.

For the BBR Ferrari 250 GTE Police car, I see that Jon is correct. In the pictures I looked at when I was looking to buy one, it was there so I just thought it always was. I realise that most of you will probably think it's a trivial thing though. It just annoyed me. I knew about the car long before the model was announced.

Other than that I've not bought one of their models for a long time. I just went off them when the F8 Tributo came out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.