DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
7,661 Posts
When Otto announced the 1/12th scale E30 M3 DTM car, I contacted them and asked about an ETCC version.
I don't remember when the M3 was originally shown on their website, but it must be a year ago at least.
This reply arrived in my inbox this evening.....

Dear Client,
Many thanks for your suggestion! I will transfer your message to our Development Department so that they can study the request.
The new models are announced by newsletter.
We can’t guarantee that you will receive an answer from this service, but rest assured that your request has been taken into account.
Thank you for the interest you show in our company.

At least they answered!

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Nice timing! (not).
If anyone has a good reason why they would opt for this rather than wait for the Norev - I'd be interested to hear it.
Even if it took a year after the Otto release for the Norev to arrive, I would wait.
I am very happy with most of my Otto models, but on this occasion my money goes elsewhere......

· Registered
7,661 Posts
My most recent Norev - a black W115 - has a perfectly good paint finish.
I have quite a few models by them, and I would only fault a yellow Beetle from those.
On the other hand, some of my Otto models are showing a degree of sagging in the clear sections.
As for the 190E above, the whole front end of the cabin looks off to me.

· Registered
7,661 Posts
This all assumes the model is accurate, no matter the material.
Otto had to withdraw an Alpine A310 (IIRC) because the shape was laughably bad.
And yet again I have to point to the way 'A' pillars are often too thick, leading to oddly shaped windscreens.
Since this is what is presented to me when looking at my models in display cases, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

· Registered
7,661 Posts
This is the closest image I could find to the side view and colour for a 190E Cosworth.
OK, this is actually a 2.3, but that would not affect the production body shape
Sorry if this upsets anyone, but the Otto doesn't impress me on several counts.
(Look at the area at the top of the doors where they meet the roof - looks a mess to my eyes.)
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

· Registered
7,661 Posts
I might email them about the 106. It is so bad!!

Yet again (!) the biggest issue for me are the oversized A pillars, inevitably causing the windscreen to look wrong.
It's the first thing I tend to look for, and I have seen manufacturers produce models which they have manufactured correctly in an earlier time.
Case in point - Minichamps Capri RS2600.
The original all opening version was spot on for shape, the sealed race releases suffer from that bugbear of mine - although in this case it's not disastrous....

· Registered
7,661 Posts
I'm beginning to get worried about the direction that Ottomobile are taking.
They seem to be following GTS in some respects, and choosing ever more unusual subjects to produce.
It's not all bad, I just feel there are too many very niche subjects popping up, and some that are duplicates of cars arriving from other manufacturers.
The Mercedes Benz 190E being one example, which isn't even very impressive for shape.
As for the reply about two years ago, I would have told them two years ago that the front of the upper body shape was wrong.
Sometimes I think that silent actor Ben Turpin had the job of signing off on the shape of the prototypes.....

· Registered
7,661 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it sells out rather fast as a lot of people would probably want one for the lolz.

I have a second generation 'Mustang Cobra' for just that reason.
It's comically over the top, and should have been called the Mustang grass snake.....

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Craig, might I suggest this is an automated response?
I've seen it several times when suggesting possible new model choices.
Although I will admit seeing this when they released the original white Sierra Cosworth.
I asked them to consider the rally versions as alternatives, and they duly produced them!

· Registered
7,661 Posts
The 1/12 scale Mercedes-Benz W201 190 EVO 2 DTM has now sold out.

Which shows that endless wide arch 911 variants and others are getting old (and yes I know it's usually under the GTS badge).
And that weird French cars unknown outside France are now at saturation point - and no more wretched 2CV models please!

· Registered
7,661 Posts
I'm not impressed by the shape of the Manta.
Yet again I look first at the windscreen and A pillars, and yet again I see a mess.
And I suspect the whole roof is wrong (too narrow).
The IXO sealed diecast - which isn't perfect - is better in relation to roof area as a whole.
Even the ancient Revell is more impressive to me.
Plus point?
Nice colour scheme.....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts