DiecastXchange Forum banner
61 - 67 of 465 Posts

Registered
They did. I think the Ford Probe was based off of it, but can't quite recall. There was also the MX-3 also known as the Precidia.

Best guess is that focus groups found the different MX designations confusing so they gave them names. Or perhaps management assumed customers here would be confused.
馃ズ
It triggers a question that has always made me wonder.
Why were cars sold in different markets given different names?
That's aside from the branding changes that manufacturers often chose to run with.
Case in point - in the UK the Fiat Ritmo was originally called the Strada - why?
And it wasn't anything to do with being right hand drive, in Ireland they were badged as Ritmo.....

Registered
Those names were also used in the UK.

Datsun's use of old fashioned English names (eg the Cedric!) were a great cause of derision and no doubt hurt sales when they first came on the UK market.

M
Don't forget names such as Sunny - something which most certainly didn't feel a part of the driving experience.
Other 'comedy' names from the period - Crown, cherry and some others that I have managed to blank from my memory!
Nissan/Datsun didn't stick with the Fairlady name when exporting the 'Z' cars, so they were aware of sensitivities.
Perhaps they knew their products were comically poor, and driven mostly by the elderly.... :D

Registered
I don't know how many on here watched the three stooges Top Gear era, but they did a segment on the decline in Peugeot cars.
To me this - and most others - released in 2022 fall into the same eccentric category of subjects that are a disappointment.
I used to look forward to what was coming for the following months, and with GTS - I don't even try to find out.
The metal Solido part of the organisation is much more exciting these days.....

61 - 67 of 465 Posts