DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
As I found some time to re-shoot photos this car, it gave me another chance to take a closer look at it. With all the recent discussions about the value of sealed 1:18 models, I figured it was a good time for me to re-assess the car strengths & weaknesses.

Since I had bought my two sealed JGTC Skylines for US$28 each prior to getting this #23, I had previously seen the high quality exterior details of these cars. At that price, I have no regrets getting those sealed cars. :wink This #23 is very similar to those two others. Its high points definitely include well-made made tires, wheels and brake calipers. The body is very well done with its paint and tampo prints. The cockpit details are stunning too. Sadly, the best view of the cockpit requires removal of the body from its chassis, and not by opening its doors, because they don't open. This "non-feature" frustrates me as it's a bit like window-shopping with a "See-See No-Touch" approach to things. The hood also does not open up to reveal an engine, and I'm a big engine nut. Being a former builder of plastic model kits, there is something I really like about opening panels and moveable parts. The lack of an engine is a significant shortcoming with this model.

I paid full price for this car because I was able to get it locally and I love the livery. RR72 (Mike) didn't do me any favours as he posted up some really awesome photos of his Pit Work car. :tempted But in retrospect, I should have held out to find this car at a cheaper price. I now see that buying a sealed 1:18 model is a bit like buying a ring with a cubic zirconia instead of a diamond. It might look okay on the surface and sparkle a bit, but it just doesn't have the same intrinsic value as a 1:18 with opening doors/hood.

(click for 800x530 photos)

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
great model Felix! :cheers

:coolpics too!

Man, 28USD is worth it, how'd you find them so cheap? :giggle

I'm still debating whether to get the Z, NSX, Supra, racers...

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Great photos Felix as always :nicejob

Sorry about the :tempted part, but its like you say "a bit like buying a ring with a cubic zirconia instead of a diamond" great wording Felix.

1:43 sealed Yes :happy
1:18 selaed No :pullhair

A good topic & point of view Felix, thanks for that.

:cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Great pics as always, Felix!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I agree with you there. It's one thing to pay for sealed models in 1:43 where they cover subjects that is completely undealt with in 1:18. Also, given the smale scale, sealed 1:43 is perfectly acceptable. But with 1:18 where the car is so much bigger, there's no shortage of space to put in hinges and a full engine, etc.

MB and mox: Thanks for your kind words. It's taken me a while to get some decent photos of this red/silver car. Those are two colours I really struggle with to photograph well.

G

·
StygianMax said:
Since I had bought my two sealed JGTC Skylines for US$28 each prior to getting this #23, I had previously seen the high quality exterior details of these cars. At that price, I have no regrets getting those sealed cars. :wink
Exactly! And that is the root of our complaints regarding sealed subjects. The suggested retail price is too high!

My goodness, doesn't AUTOart realize that I need to save some money so I can buy a can opener to fix these sealed cars?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts