DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I really really wanted to like this model. It is after all a Shelby Mustang, possibly the baddest one ever, and my absolute favorite color combination. The overall shape is good, and although the trunk doesn't open, I'm used to that, since I own several Ertls. The general detail level is about what you'd expect from a budget model of this age, but a few things really let it down in my opinion. The first thing you notice, the stripes are very poorly done. They just aren't finished off at all wherever they come to an end (e.g. at the top and bottom of the rear window). I may have just got stuck with a bad example in this regard, but even more obvious is the fact that they aren't even continued from the back of the hood to the base of the windshield. The other really blatant goof rears it's ugly head when you open the hood - an orange engine (IN A FORD!?!?). This looks ok filling a spot in a row of cars, but upon any kind of close examination it looks like the cheap old model it is. For $10 I'd say I got fair value, but I wouldn't go much higher unless you really want this model.

That, however, is not the end of it. I remembered Eddie (Cobalt1959) had one, and checked out his website. I've decided to revise my thoughts somewhat. It's not very good out of the box, but it has definate potential if you have modding skills. After you've looked at my stock one, check out his, at the bottom of this page Cobalt1959
While you're at it, check out his other amazing work.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
I will give you $11 for it, think of the profit :lol

It is rather "rough" in its current form but it really does look like a few things will help it greatly.

I am hoping that the Shelby Collectibles version that is coming out this year will bride the gap between the YM and the Lane.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going by their past releases, the S/C version will bridge the gap quite nicely, and probably be the best value of the three (better than the YM anyway lol).

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...Eddie, hope you don't mind that I linked to your site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.