DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Welcome to the 6th DiecastXchange Custom Model Car Contest.

The DX Staff and I welcome you to the 6th Custom Contest of this forum.

This contest is to see what you members can create, to compete to others, its not about winning! But is for us all to have a little fun.
All Contestants will be running against each other, to have one clean simple overview.

The rules are going to be the same as last years!

Due to events last year the following members are being allowed to carry over their builds.

Floper54 - BMW Isetta 300
K.Customs - Trabant 601
ROBSMC - Pagani Huayra Dinastia 'Chiwin'
StratosWRC - Lexus LC500
Thotitim - Morvan TT 2CV

If the above members want to enter another build they can do, they can withdraw the build above or they can build both and both will go into the vote at the end of the year, however if a member has a model in both first and second place then the entry with the least votes (second) will be voided and the second place will go to the model that was in third place and so on.

Here are the simple rules:
- Each contestant must be an active member of the DX forum with a minimum of 30 posts or membership over 3 months.
- Anybody can build what they want, There is no Theme.
- It must be a standard scale.
- Before, Whilst In Production and Finalized Pictures are necessary. 2x 'Before', 2x 'Whilst In Production' and 6x 'Finalized' photos. (Example photos are below. More photos are welcomed.
- Minimum of 10 Photos total.
- The finished model should have a natural background. No fancy photo shopped pictures please, keep it clean and simple, good enough to tell the details. If the photos are not sufficient enough, we will let you know to please re-take them.
- Each build cannot be posted in the forum already.
- The model being modified must not be a model that has previously been modified unless it has been purchased pre-modified by a model manufacture that build modified models from other model manufactures.

Any member taking part MUST submit via PM to myself of the model with at least 2x photos of the model that is going to be used, the member MUST also submit the plan of what they are intending to do to modify the model and also an outline of the intended final model.

Here are examples of how the photos and short listed mod/info list should be. It doesn't have to be like this but in this direction please.

1:18 Nissan Skyline BNR34
- AutoArt Base
- Volk racing TE-37 custom rims, painted in Titanium Gold, color detailed lug nuts (Mounted so they still spin and steer)
- Lowered suspension
- Custom Brembo brake discs and calipers
- Carbon fiber hood, clear coated
- Custom fitting aluminum exhaust pipe, with custom Laser engraving
- Sport seats with carbon fiber shell
- Takata racing harness
- Carbon fiber details added (if not visible in the photos please ad to the description)
- Engine details (please add a photo and a list of which details if needed)
Once all members have submitted their before photos and plan and outline of final model, I (Speedy) will post the before photos and plan and final outline in a thread, then a thread will be started for each member taking part started by myself where I will re-post the before photos and plan and outline of final model, the members must then post update photos of the on-going build progress regularly but MUST NOT post images of the final model, they MUST be submitted to me via PM and I will then post these in an update to the original thread, then a vote will be held.

Dates.
Starts 1st March 2021 (Entries accepted and the relevant model thread started the build can commence.
Close for submissions N/A.
Models must be completed by 1st December 2021
The voting starts 5th December 2021 and ends 27th December 2021
The winner and runners up will be announced a few days after the 28th December 2021

Examples of photos.

Last years winner RSIevolution and their build - VW Beetle.

From this,
customize the body (wide body and more modifications)
New color
new bigger engine
overall interior customization
new wheels/brakes

To this,

Build thread https://www.diecastx...tion-vw-beetle/

Dates.
Starts Now.
Close for submissions N/A.
Models must be completed by 1st December 2021.
The voting starts 5th December 2021 and ends 24th December 2021.
The winner and runners up will be announced 25th December 2021.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
So what do we do if we use the carryover builds, just continue those build threads? Will they be relocated?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hi Speedy - just noticed this thread. Euh your dates in post 1 still mention 2020 instead of 2021.

Curious: why only 1:18 scale? and why only cars?
I understand this is already the 6th competition but "you" are excluding quite a few members from entering.
Just a thought not a criticism.

I just completed a 1:4 Ducati build and wouldn't mind trying out for the 2021 competition.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Speedy - just noticed this thread. Euh your dates in post 1 still mention 2020 instead of 2021.

I understand this is already the 6th competition but "you" are excluding quite a few members from entering.

I just completed a 1:4 Ducati build and wouldn't mind trying out for the 2021 competition.
Thank you, I missed that regarding the dates.

There is no reason for it being 1/18 and only cars, when I took over running this I just used the same rules etc.

Any member can enter any vehicle really, I don't think there would be any objections.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

Thank you, I missed that regarding the dates.

There is no reason for it being 1/18 and only cars, when I took over running this I just used the same rules etc.

Any member can enter any vehicle really, I don't think there would be any objections.
[/quote]
I agree.
I am not a builder (never tried but definitely feel tempted to do some day...) -
but I would love to see also projects in other scales here!

·
Registered
806 Posts
- Each build cannot be posted in the forum already.

Ah ok, so I'll need to start a fresh one if I want to compete. No worries.
Thanks for updating the 'rules'.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
As far as I can tell, I'm the only one still going with my build and I don't really consider it a contest entry, more of a personal build at this point. I even considered asking Craig to just move the thread to my portofolio folder. Pretty safe to say the contest is dead

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure what has happened this year, I know there were a lot of issue last year.
Maybe give this contest a rest for 2022.
I will see if any other members have any input before this years is cancelled.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Not sure what has happened this year, I know there were a lot of issue last year.
Maybe give this contest a rest for 2022.
I will see if any other members have any input before this years is cancelled.
I am trying to go on with my project but definetly need more time. Its sad to see the contest canceled but if 1-2 members get the projects done there is no point i guess.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Decided to cancel this years contest, I would like to thank the members who have taken part, but due to participation of only two members there is really no choice but to cancel the contest.

There won't be a "Tuner Contest" next year, hope fully if the demand is here it will return in 2023, I might run a smaller competition for light modifications next year though, I will try and keep an eye on what members mention in their own threads to try and gauge if there is a demand.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Decided to cancel this years contest, I would like to thank the members who have taken part, but due to participation of only two members there is really no choice but to cancel the contest.

There won't be a "Tuner Contest" next year, hope fully if the demand is here it will return in 2023, I might run a smaller competition for light modifications next year though, I will try and keep an eye on what members mention in their own threads to try and gauge if there is a demand.
That's a shame - I really enjoy reading the build threads, that was how I found DX in the first place.

Have you thought about running this more like the picture of the month contests? Rather than putting people under the pressure of a deadline, you could just allow builds that have been completed during the year to be nominated. I don't mean any disrespect to those that have entered this contest, but it also feels like a shame that some of the excellent builds in the tuner shop or custom model spotlight threads can't be considered.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a shame - I really enjoy reading the build threads, that was how I found DX in the first place.

Have you thought about running this more like the picture of the month contests? Rather than putting people under the pressure of a deadline, you could just allow builds that have been completed during the year to be nominated. I don't mean any disrespect to those that have entered this contest, but it also feels like a shame that some of the excellent builds in the tuner shop or custom model spotlight threads can't be considered.
That is a good idea, I will have a look into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts