DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
2 of my favorite Porsches, I thought it would be fun to compare the 1970 Le Mans winning 917K by AUTOart to the 1971 Le Mans DNF 917/20 from Minichamps.

While the 917K is an older release, it is becoming a very HTF model and is priced accordingly.
The M/C 917/20 is not inexpensive either, its price being pushed up by the box that has a small chip in it that produced an "oinking" sound in addition to some glorious engine noises when opened.

The AUTOart comes in the standard window box.

You can see the physical differences between the 2 cars, the 917/20 wanted to try to take advantage of the low drag bodywork pn a shorter chassis to aid in manurverability.
It had mixed results and the idea was abandoned.
The 917K was turned nto a winner by adding some drag to the bodywork and keeping the original narrow chassis along with a short tail.

Added to DX Model Comparison Database

Attachments

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The interior begins to show the different levels of detailing between the 2 models.
The M/C while not at the upper end, easily beats out the AUTOart.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine compartment is where the M/C really does its best work, where there is simply moulded in plastic details on the AUTOart, the M/C has seperate pieces with added paint detail.
Just what you would expect out of a car in this price range.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All in all, the AUTOart holds up pretty well considereing the age of the model and the price difference. They both look great sitting next to each other on the shelf, it is only when you look closely, that the AUTOart starts to dim against the M/C.

AUTOart makes the best 917K in 1:18 that you can buy, if you don't want or can't find the Le mans winner there are plenty of other versions you caan buy and some are going for very little money.

The M/C 917/20 is the only one of its kind, I was very surprised that M/C invested in the tooling for this car because it only raced once and only in one livery. The only other car thay could use this mould for is the all-white Le Mans Test day version. Other than that this is a dead mould.
If this car is on your list, I would grab on before they are all gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nice comparo. The 917/20 by M/C is certainly a unique car and unique model. I still prefer my Gulf 917K "Steve McQueen" though over either. :giggle

Hey RichardM, I see you say you're from Alberta. You don't happen to be from Calgary now would ya.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Great comparison, Jeff, but the pig is just too ugly for my taste. I won't say I'll never get one, I could come across one for $10 or something, but I doubt that one will ever join my collection.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Both very nice cars, I always find it amazing to think that Porsche allowed John Wyer and friend near the 917 long tail with tin snipes to make the short tail and a French man near 917 to make the "Pink Pig". It must have been one of the few times Europeans i.e. English, French and Germany have worked together to produce race cars. :confused

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for the comparison Jeff, :cheers I was looking at mine while reading your review. Yes, AUTOart makes the best 917 but it is still very far from the quality and detail this car deserves. AUTOart's new longtail comes from a new mold and is a great improvement but still only approaches the quality of the Minichamps. in my opinion, it still deserves better! :my2cents

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
"You can see the physical differences between the 2 cars, the 917/20 wanted to try to take advantage of the low drag bodywork pn a shorter chassis to aid in manurverability.
It had mixed results and the idea was abandoned."

The idea of the 917/20 being abandoned is incorrect it reserfaced in the 1980 as the 956. Yes it was more square looking but the 956 heritage is from the 917/20. I enjoyed reading the reivew congratulations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.