DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
991 Turbo Cabriolet
Here is one of my recently completed projects, based on the GTSpirit 991 Turbo coupe. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and overall finish of these sealed resin models by GT Spirit; with that being said, though, my biggest disappointment with the 991 had to be the quality of the side windows. Though they are blacked out in certain areas, the fact that it is one single piece with no line delineating the door windows from the rear quarter windows is just horrible. When I stood it next to the Minichamps 991 Turbo S Coupe I've had for a while, I'd say the only other thing that stood out to me is the slope of the front fenders. In all other 991's in my collection (the Welly coupe, Minichamps cabriolet, and turbo S seem to look better (the GT Spirit fenders just seem slightly off in their slant.
Anyhow, I bought this particular version because I wanted the wheels for another 991 project I'm working on, but more because I REALLY wanted to try my hand at a custom build and reworking resin is easier than reworking metal. So without further adieu, I present my 991 Turbo Cabriolet! (I had hoped that this years toy show in Nuremberg would reveal the possibility of a Cabriolet version of the Turbo …and who knows, maybe a manufacturer will surprise us with one later this year) but I went ahead and made my own.

The wheels are resin cast from a mold I made from my Minichamps 991Turbo S Coupe. The convertible boot cover is a resin cast from my Minichamps 991 Carerra S Cabriolet.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Your custom work is awesome!

·
Premium Member
13,854 Posts
Very nice, I like it!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Very impressive results! I wish I had even a fraction of your ability to modify my diecasts. I love the color combination on the cabriolet, as well as the colors you chose for the coupe.

I like the GT Spirit Turbo, but I wish it had those wheels. Is there any chance you'll make more copies of them? I think you might have at least one customer...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that looks so factory. Great work as usual!!
Thanks! After I removed the top, I was suprised at how easy it was going to be to create the convertible boot cover. Etching the scribe line was the nerve racking part. I had created a tape template from my Minichamps 991 Cab, placed it on the back of the GT Spirit, sans roof, and it lined up PERFECTLY. I traced a line in sharpy, and then with a very very steady and slow hand, used an exacto blade to slowly work the line deeper and deeper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.