DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
My wife had a speaking engagement in Dayton, OH over the weekend, and as designated driver for anything over 100 miles, I had the pleasure of joining her. So while she was doing her thing, I was doing mine; searching for diecast. This is something that is always high on my list of prorities as I've noticed that even at the national retailers, the inventory varies from what I can get locally.

I first struck gold at the KB toys in the Dayton Mall. They currently have a sale going on. Diecast normally priced at $19.99 are $9.99, and if you spend over $50, you get a gift card for $10, but it can only be used during a certain time. Anway I picked up a couple of Maisto MB CLK DTM racers. If anybody lives nearby, they have more of the Warsteiner car.

A short ride down the street to TRU was rewarded with two from Motormax. The Audi A4 cabrio, and the tuner Honda Accord. I also got to see their A8 firsthand, and it's hard to believe they come from the same company. Both models have the typical buget shortfalls, such as stubs on the lights and unpainted metal in the nooks and crannies. But overall they show how the bar has been raised, as evidenced in the A4's interior. The Accord is more of an aquired taste, but this is the direction I wish Maisto would have went with the Playerz line. It's obviously not stock, but you could still see this being a real 1:1.

A4

Accord

Last stop was Sams's Club. More $10 Maisto's. I picked up the Chrysler 300C, the Porsche Boxter S, and Lambo Gallardo Polizia.

So I got 7 models for about $80. Not a bad haul. Now I just need to find somewhere to put them. :help:

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I want to go shopping where you do :lol

Awesome pickups and additions, congrats :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
AMazing stuff Lloyd! Congrats on bagging so many good deals! :cheers

That Accord looks pretty well made, and I agree with you, those Playerz or "bling bling" stuff isn't for me. This type of mods on the Accord are more acceptable. The rims look at least realistic :p

Question: So the Motormax A8 is crap? Or okay compared to the other 2 you purchased? I'm just curious as from the pics, the A8 looks decent :confused

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Nice haul Lloyd, especially the older CLK DTM car! The Warsteiner is a beauty too.

I'm not really feeling that particular tuned Accord. I find the older body style is much sleeker and nicer platform to mod, aesthetically anyway. Each to their own tastes I guess.

:cheers

G

·
Congrats Lloyd

I'm suprised at how good the A4 cabrio looks. The section around the gear stick looks really detailed. Its difficult to tell the difference between that and a Kyosho.

:cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pillarless Coupe said:
The Accord is more of an aquired taste, but this is the direction I wish Maisto would have went with the Playerz line. It's obviously not stock, but you could still see this being a real 1:1.

Accord

Your wish is my command :cheers (BTW, Great Finds! :happy )

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks y'all :cheers

Gary: Based on the pictures I've seen, I expected the A8 to be OK, but it is nowhere as good as these. TRU only had one, and it had deep scratched in the rocker panel just behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel. It looked as if somebody had taken some 80 grit sandpaper to it. Since it was the only one, I can't say if it's part of the mold or was particular to that one car.

Matt: Thanks for the pic. It looks like MM did a pretty faithful rendition of the 1:1.

G

·
These are real nice!

The A4 is a real surprise from MM. But I still prefer the Welly, I think...

The 300C is a natural choice. I saw the MM at a TRU here in NYC the other day for $20 and I regret not picking it up. It looked quite nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts