DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Forgive me if it has been talked about before).

How do the owners of this car feel about AUTOart doing this? I had no clue about this car, I just remember the big following it had. Hasn't this one gone up in value?

Ertl and Exoto get bashed when they do this, will AUTOart be seen differently?

One thing that I find funny, is that they did not even re-take the picture, they just PSed the certificate behind the picture of the original release! :dizzy

Click here to see:
http://www.AUTOart-collection.com/cgi-bin/autoa...ing/80487A.html

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
What I do not like is that during the original release, people may have overpaid for the car, as dictated by supply and demand. AUTOart now says this re-release is a limited edition. But how do consumers really know that?? The next re-re-release may include an autographed card AND a chunk of Kwan's tire. :wink And the following one may also include a piece of his racing suit. Call me a cynical skeptic. :giggle

Can someone tell me some information about this Kwan dude??? :giggle

Does anyone know if he's got any Le Mans aspirations for 2007?? If I recall correctly, he was trying to qualify for the '06 Le Mans with a team that included Matthew Marsh and Darryl O'Young. I'm not sure what put a halt to that. :confused

G

·
I cant understand why AUTOart has chosen to do this (except for the money of course).

Its not as if the Kwan is a very popular car now . Looking over Ebay , the original #29 Kwan is still holding its money , more or less , but this version , the later #1 car can be bought for less than rrp . I could understand its release if it was still in demand , but its not :confused

They have also done this with the AHA coffee Porsche Cup car . They made some improvements and released it under the "Drivers edition" with a certificate signed by the driver . Now whether the signature is real or just printed on , Im unsure , but it does come at a premium .

I have both the #29 and #1 Kwans , but I can guarantee I wont be adding this one . Just another show of Aas never ending greed and lack of respect for the collector

·
Loves Cars
374 Posts
This is exactly why I refuse to pay more than retail for Kyosho models anymore. I bought a 365GTB driven by Paul Newman, et. al., for a premium and 3 months later it was re-released and I could have paid 40-50% less at that point for the exact same thing. Values have since gone back to what I paid for mine, but DAMN.

I guess it doesn't matter that much as I rarely part with anything in my collection (most recent liquidation withstanding), so value doesn't matter THAT much... but if I hit financial "Skid Row", I like to know I can at least sell them for what I paid.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I wonder why it is "coming soon"??? Both driver editions (A-Ha & Infineon) are out since several weeks! :question

I got the A-Ha (80489A) because it is a complete other car than before:

• new color (copper-met. instead of brown)
• other number (#33 instead of #1)
• other sponsor decals

and as I picked out 1234/2000 I guess it was a good choice. :giggle

BTW: The autograph is authentic, no print.

But 80487A is the same car as 80487 - no changes. :confused

G

·
I added the A-Ha car too, I didn't realize it was being re-released in addition to the original Kwan :dizzy

Who even knew the Kwan was going to be rereleased :confused

My feelings on this requires more time than I have to type a message on at this given point. But allow me this - the first line of GT3 R or RS or whatever the heck they were calling them at the time was a total abomination.

The Kwan car disrupted the buying market because it was the only LE of the bunch at the time(alledgedly).

AUTOart must have definitely taken notice of the frenzy the Kwan caused and then proceeded to accomplish that feat again, evident by these rereleases.

I said it before last year and I am not afraid to say again this year - this is our fault, I say "OUR" as collectors, as we created this mess with idiotic purchases of inaccurate and garbage models at outrageous prices prompting more of the same from AUTOart.

And just look - they still don't have the darn designation incorrect, calling it a GT3 R :confused

And to think, some stood and defended these very same inaccuracies - I bet they feel cheap now after the exuses the made for the model designation being incorrect at the time.

They have had more than enough time to correct the problem. From the email that I wrote and they replied to, it was due to lack of time with the 1;1 to be photographed - so what now :confused

I'm no psychic, but I told you so.

If anyone thinks that this type of mentality isn't going to spill over to the sealed models - your fooling yourselves.

G

·
And to this day, I still know nothing about Mr Kwan and I own two of his models other than some link someone posted for me to visit :confused

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Since I don't collect for their value, the more they make means the easier and cheaper they would be... in theory anyways! :giggle

Sean

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I'll bet you would feel differently Sean if you paid a premium to get one because it was a "Limited edition" of XXXX and after buying the L/E because you wanted to get one while the getting was good, only to find out a few months later that AUTOart was coming out with another batch.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Not really, but yes (I'll get to the yes part in a minute). I try to keep my spending at bay (most of the time anyways :giggle ). I rarely pay much more that 10% over MSRP for a model. However, I can think of a few cases where I paid almost double MSRP but even at double MSRP, but I paid less than $20 for the purchase.

I really want the 2000 & 2001 Honda NSRs of Rossi by Minichamps as well as his Yamaha M1 test bike. They getting well over $150 on eBay at the moment and have for a couple years now. I still don't have them. You could almost say that I have written them off as ever being part of my collection - but I still keep an eye out for a good deal on them! Luckily for me, they are going to reproduce some of them in the next couple months.

I cannot think of any models that I have to have so bad that I would pay 3 or more times as much as the MSRP or what the combination of plastic, metal and paint is actually worth based on the level of detail and quality of the item. I believe that is where our ideologies on what models we buy differ. Mine is driven by what I can afford and there are so many holes in my collection that I want to fill, I can put off buying those out of production/rare with a high price tag. If I never get them...it was never meant to be. I'm comfortable with that.

I definately see where you are coming from and see how you would be upset. I'm sure those who paid big money thought the model was worth it to them. But these re-releases may be the only chance for those who were not into the hobby when they were originally released to get one! Try finding a 1/18 Maisto Suzuki Hayabusa in black and silver anywhere...I haven't seen one on eBay or anywhere else in the last two years. Is it fair to those who paid mucho $$$, for them...no, but since when is EVERYTHING life fair?

Now, why do manufacturers make limited runs of models? Because they think there is only a small calling for the item or so they go up in value once they are all sold out??? I think we will know the answer to that question as soon as the owl figures out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop!!!

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I agree, life is not very fair but part of the reason that people will pay for the L/E tag is they they think they arew buying something that will not be available in the future.

I do think it completely fair for the people that were at the right place at the right time to come away with the goods and those who are late to the party will have to find someplace else to sit :wink

I do know this, companies that have to slap an "Limited Edition" sticker on diecast to get people to buy it and then end up abusing that L/E sticker by various re-releases are doomed to fail.
I have seen FM and RC2 go down this road with a bad end result.

G

·
Jeff,

In addition to what you just wrote - AUTOart isn't done in this regards.

Looking at some of their latest releases, the majority if not all of them are labeled LE.

I personally do not believe that AUTOart is going to produce 6K of the C6 Corvettes with it only being the second year of production - especially with there being known variants coming from GM.

I'm just not feeling this LE business - primarily because not too many know how to go about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.