DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything about this model that distiguishes it from the real #20 Siffert/Redman car that ran at lemans, 1970? Any fictional components, or 'Michael Delaney' stickers etc, that would denote it as a fictional vehicle?
Ive missed out on some of the earlier Gulf 917s, and while I love the film, I don't really care about having a model of a 'movie' car than an actual racing 917 car...

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Not to be arguementative, but in my mind, this car is bigger than just a movie car. It represents the pinnacle of a man's career, his crowning achievement as both a racer and an actor.

If I think of one event that did more than any other to bring sports car racing to the forefront of the general public, it was this "failure" of a movie, that has continued its romanticism of big time endurance racing, and both the strategy and the humanity of the sport to this day.

Buy the car, and put it into your collection, it is bigger than life, and there are less accurate "real" race models out there that pale in significance to this one.

:cheers

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The only differences that I can see are the missing Gulf logos on the front fenders and the gulf logo on the nose is different.

And as you probably know, the "movie" car was the same car driven by Siffert and Redman that DNF'd at Le Mans. :cheers But it took 2nd at Spa.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only differences that I can see are the missing Gulf logos on the front fenders and the gulf logo on the nose is different.
Just checking some photos, I think the logo-less fenders and slighlty changed Gulf logo are actually 100% accurate to the #20 as it ran at lemans...

Buy the car, and put it into your collection, it is bigger than life, and there are less accurate "real" race models out there that pale in significance to this one.
Well agree, but all things being equal, I was just hoping to find #1 car as I'm a bit of a Siffert fan - Strangely I had been ignoring the #20 car (which is the readily available at the moment, unlike the others) but it really offers the best of both worlds - being the significant movie car as you mention, but also being driven by Siffert in the actual race...

same car driven by Siffert and Redman that DNF'd at Le Mans
It DNF'd in the film too :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys...

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Wish I had my copy of "A French Kiss with Death" handy, but it's still packed from my move over 18 months ago, but I believe you are right about the cars being painted in various paint schemes. And some of them were even being bodied differently - I seem to recall that the Ferrari that launches, and then the #21 Gulf Porsche that rides the guard rail were both actually Lola T-70 chassis, with the proper bodywork appended on.

Still, for the money, I feel like the AutoArt 917 series is one of the best, decal issues and all.

:cheers

G

·
You can tell they used different chassis' when on the Porsche was in the middle of it's crash you can see yellow bodywork and the bottom of the original number of the Lola on the left hand side of the car.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just googled every image I could find for Porsche 917 and Le Mans 1970 and 1971 and I think the movie car is an accurate replica of the actual race car. I could not find any photos from the race that show any differences. :cheers

BTW Jim, I'm envious of that UH Gulf #19, I've never seen one available!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
sdobie said:
Well agree, but all things being equal, I was just hoping to find #1 car as I'm a bit of a Siffert fan - Strangely I had been ignoring the #20 car (which is the readily available at the moment, unlike the others) but it really offers the best of both worlds - being the significant movie car as you mention, but also being driven by Siffert in the actual race...
just get 2 #20's and some decals to chage one to a #1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.