DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm not trying to flog a dead horse here. :giggle But as I flipped through a racing magazine in a local bookstore, I found an interesting article entitled Race Lessons - Le Mans 2005 telling Corvette Racing's story. I couldn't help but notice that there were photos of the C6-R's engine a pretty detailed cut-away drawing of the entire car. link

Does anyone remember whether AUTOart said Corvette Racing was very secretive about their engine and that is one reason why AUTOart is make this model sealed? Or was that something in reference to the JGTC cars? :confused

Here is the photo of the C6-R engine courtesy of Race Engineering magazine (Dec. 2005).

View attachment 25534

View attachment 25535

View attachment 25536

G

·
The C6R photos have been all over the net since July of 2005.

I don't think AUTOart can use that excuse.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Gee, what planet had I been visiting on vacation since then? :lol I usually just go to www.americanlemans.com for photos and had not seen any engine shots there.

You're quite right; that's one less excuse AUTOart can use.

Eddie: To your point, I think you are right in that there isn't that much information that Corvette's competition can use that will jeopardize their competitiveness. In the speed department, the AM DBR-9 were a bit faster than the C6-Rs. That said, a bit of the DBR-9's achilles heel was their cockpit temperature. They ran really hot inside. In contrast, Ron Fellows commented in the Race Engineering article that the inside temperature of the C6-R, while hot, was still bearable for the 24Hr duration.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
But its not only the engine. The suspension, aerodynamics, tyre rubber compounds, gear ratios all make a difference. If you take everything into account, AUTOart should give us a model that should look like its under cloth wraps.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Add to all this the fact that scrutineering at all races, regardless of the series, is a public event, with the area lousy with photographers. When I went to LeMans, in 2000, as a spectator (even though I bought the proper credential), before the race, I had access to the garage area, and took numerous photos of the cars, both with, and without bodywork.

Now the question comes, but does the diecast manufacturer have access to detailed, to scale, drawings, from which to acquire the proper proportions, etc. of components, and I think that is the hill that AutoArt intends to die on. We, as collectors, are quick to critique the lack of accuracy of a model. They, as manufacturers, have apparently heard us. Maybe they feel that they can get the body close, but if that one fuel line runs slightly askew to the one in the pic I took, then the model is not "accurate". :pullhair

Sorry about the rant here, but I think, to some extent, we are victims of our own tastes.

Of course, for me, I still collect Eagles Race GT-40's, so what do I know?

:cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't recall AUTOart using the "secrecy" excuse for the C6-R in particular, but I do remember that being one of their so-called issues. As for the C6 though, not only are pictures all over the web, but they're also on the official Corvette racing web site.

As for what the diecast manufacturer has access to, it depends on the model. I know many models are made from pictures of the 1:1, but in some cases the auto maker supplies the CAD data, which is about as detailed as you can get.

I could buy into AUTOart saying they can't reproduce the engine because the race teams won't let them photograph it, but how do they justify the sealed interiors? Every sealed racer I've seen seems to have a pretty detailed interior, so why no opening doors? Is the latch mechanism a secret too? :giggle

G

·
That whole argument about not having access to engines and interiors due to racing teams not wanting to share is something I never applied much merit to, and thats just being honest in my own opinion.

And to be frank about it, I think its a flat out lie, I feel much better about saying that now. Yep they lied, no revelation there.

Funny how some of the models they are releasing are sealed based on the initial explanation. Is it a coincidence they are all new molds. But yet they continue to release other racing models based on older molds.

We all know it cost less to make a sealed model over a fully opening version, and if the profit margins exceed those of the sealed models, then its a no brainer.

I wuld not be surprised if every new racer that comes from AUTOart that has a new mold, will come sealed.

It only makes sense for them to do it.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
To say that the teams don't want their secrets out is bullsh!t. On a model we may get an accurate form of an engine, but no one will have a clew about valvetrain, pistons, bearings, etc, that are in the engine. Besdes, as many have said here, you have a lot of ways to get access to pictures and the car themselves, so the secrecy thing is nothing but hogwash.

Don't kid yourselves, AUTOart wants to spend less and earn more. Period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.