DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a mislabeling on AUTOart's selling site, or is the Porsche GT3R cheaper than all the other GT3's? Anyone know why? I mean, it's called GT3R "upgraded", assuming there's more stuff, yet it's cheaper? Did they cost-cut or seomthing? I still haven't seen this in-person, as the store still hasn't stocked them yet.

Also, it seems the white version of the GT3 has windows! Interesting!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I also don't understand some model's prices. Sometimes you have a car with more features but it's cheaper then one with lesser details. I guess it has to do not with the level of details but with how many unique parts it has.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you're right, since they can cost-cut by reusing the same parts, but I would have expected them to MSRP the GT3R at 70, as per normal AUTOart standards... It's just the cheaper price is scaring me, afraid that the GT3R will be less detailed or less features than the normal GT3.

And don't some of the normal AUTOart releases rival the millenium series' quality? It's just weird, where does the extra money go? (besides licenses, of course)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Quite frankly, I have quite a few of AUTOart's models, regular and Millenium, and the difference between the most of them is only the box, in my opinion. But don't worry, the GT3-R will be an outstanding model.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coolness. The store says they'll be getting one in soon, I'm gonna see it in person before I decide then.

G

·
Well, for one thing, the street version has the carpeting, but not the race version. Plus the details in the interior is actually down to the minimum to the wirings, the control boxes. Since it doesn't have any livery on the car, I suppose it will be cheaper to produce.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe that's it. Nice of AUTOart to factor in amount of material/details into the price.
But if that were the case, shouldn't the non-livery versions of the Citroen Xsara rally car and the new Subaru rally car be cheaper? XP

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Don't forget about the bane of model car making: licenses. Maybe some of the sponsors of the real car made an arrangment with AUTOart to produce the race car as a form of propganda for them.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's possible, I guess.

I haven't purchased ANY Porsches yet, and it's just that I want to start with a cheaper one, and this GT3R looks it. Just wanted to make clear as to why the price difference, is all. Thanks for all the feedback!

G

·
There's also the dealer markup. I think if some dealer see potential in specific models, then they might price it higher. Just a thought...

Also, even if there's an improvement over the old model, most R&D have been done, so the cost to produce the model might be cheaper.

G

·
Glad you are doing some researching before buying models :eek:k

I saw this thing too, I was surprised at first because most of the olf GT3R were being sold to a much higher price on e-bay, so, I expected AUTOart to sell at a lower (than ebay) yet still a pretty high price.

Then, if AUTOart has been concerning itself about the cost to produce the car, then there may be a reason for this 'cheap' price. For example, AUTOart has to get a licence for their cars, in this case, the license was already purchased for the old model. So, the additional expenses to produce a new model would not include a license, the licence would have already been amortised in the previous GT3R.

Again, it is an upgraded GT3R, not a new mold, a number of parts have been perfectioned true, but not all, research and molding was not needed for the whole car. Therefore, cost for new molds and research was a bit less.

The additional costs such as shipping and handling for both old and new model are assumed to be constant.

One other thing, AUTOart may know that there is a good demand for this model. In economics, the higher the quantity produced, the more fixed costs can be averaged, thus less expenses.

So, in all, if one looks at a cost perspective, the model should be cheaper than others. It is a new model on an old basis so to say. Luckily, it seems AUTOart did not take into consideration that such a model would have been bought at an even higher price than that. It stuck itself to its cost evaluation.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ great analyst, are you an economist, BURN? :p

I asked my store how much the model would cost when it comes in, and he quoted me $80-85CDN, which isn't different from the normal AUTOart's. Hmmm... :confused

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh, no wonder you're so good. Cost analysis, is that for marketing?

I'm a recent economics and CS graduate myself, thought you might be a fellow economist XP

G

·
Mainly for accounting purposes, to give advice to companies and so on. I dont do marketing, it is an inner company analysis rather than market analysis. Such as, will it be profitable to make an item, which will be more profitable when taking restrictions into consideration .... etc etc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts