DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$3/per model, on exisitng and future models :what

Personally I am mentally tapped out on this issue as I care a lot less about the issue these days as I did earlier - therefore, making it a non issue for me on some levels.

I wasn't expecting anymore mandated_imposed price increases so soon - particularly on models that are already on the market, yet alone on models that are in the pipeline.

When we saw prices rise in a unfriendly customer manner a few short years ago - then was the time to voice a unified voice of concern as well as any objections(no matter if the message got across or not) if any for models that were not worth the price point of asking.

But instead, this caused a great divide for some. Some followed with a open a nose not caring, only to make excuses for garbage models and others who did voice a concern was labled as "AUTOart Bashers" and the "bad guys".

I fail to understand a lot relating to this hobby, but another price increase on models already on the market after they had already had a price increase just baffles me. I'm more easy to understand a price increase on a newer model - $3 easy...not sure about that, the jusry is still out on it.

And just last week someone called Hot Wheels greedy :lol

Here he, here he...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Maybe you didn't notice, but the new Hot Wheels elite are also increase in price. The new colours for FXX and the pan-america 612 are more expensive. Smallest increase I've seen is $3, largest is around $10 to $15 depending on retailer.

And before you defend Hot Wheels, you should consider their future F1 Schumacher releases where they'll be charging $120 to $200+ for what is really a sub-$50 model.

Thankfully for me (not sure about others), I've purchased nearly all AUTOart models I want so far. The only ones left are the Ford GT LM Spec and the Ford Mustang GT390 and the Mustang Mach I '71, those should come soon enough.

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
More price hikes? I already decided to pretty much stay away from AUTOart after the last huge hike, this only seals the deal. What do they think they'll accomplish with this?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
This is just another nail in the cofin isn't it? I have to admit, that with the exception of the 2002 Speed 8, there is not one single AutoArt that interests me. Sure enough too, the one I want is bloody sealed.

This move is stupid. This is only going to hurt bricks and mortar stores. It's been nearly five months since I went into my local store, because with his overheads and aversion to a discount, his prices are at least $15 above eBay.

Hotwheels is not an option here, because I pay the same prices for them as for AutoArt. Minichamps haven't really released anything in a while that has grabbed me either.

Kyosho and Biante are the shining lights at the moment. They're not cheap, but I think that you get something for your money. The 1:43 scene is getting better all the time too, so there is still something for me.

It's a real shame that the hobby is going this way though. It's going to be difficult for younger collectors to get these cars and get interested.

Just my two cents,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Mark,

Thats an interesting comment for a few different reasons, moreso because it prolly going to be harder for brand new collectors to come in the hobby and remain - its not doubt gotten to be an expensive hobby.

A part of me believes this is why DUBCity and Jada style models remains an open gateway for some to enter the hobby as well as remain part of the hobby.

I guess theres always an alternative so to speak.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
What does Hot Wheels have to do with this? AUTOart is raising their prices on cars already RELEASED on on the pipeline! As far as I know the Hot Wheels at Target and W-M have had the same retail on all HWs for a long time and Hot Wheels is not about to tell them at what price they should sell them for. See the difference?

You bring that F1 retail, but that is not a very good point as it is a very limited release, with a very limited appeal. In the grand scheme of thing, that F1 probably represent less than 1/10,000th of one percent of Hot Wheels sale. Most likely the retail represents the licenses that have to be paid and not the true cost of the model.

Like I said in a prior post: http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/index...pic=33502&st=75
You failed to came back to make a point of why Hot Wheels is greedy? I ( and it seems that Jeff too :giggle ) would like to hear why you think it they are.

I am glad you were able to get those models (and hopefully at a good price) but don't you find the trend of higher prices and lowered standards to be troubling?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
More price increase, this hobby is getting to be more expensive by the day. :help It's gonna hurt my wallet since AUTOart is one of the main manufacturers of 1/18 Porsche diecasts.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I guess price hikes are a fact of life, but I have to laugh when manufacturers try to impose price rises on older existing stock!

The fact is (among the retailers I tend to frequent anyway) that there is a lot of discounting going on already to move some stock and there are plenty of AUTOart's out there for sale (stuff more than 2 years old especially) that are heavily discounted as it is.

As ever the moral is "shop around" and hopefully the price rises won't hurt too much! :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
So who exactly is at fault here? Hot Wheels management who take advantage of an opportunity to make some easy profit for their shareholders or the people foolish enough to pay many times more than the model is worth...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ironically I've just bought a new 1/18 Honda S2000 on UK eBay for £10.

I'm sure glad Autoart haven't been given any of the recent BMW licences, because Kyosho have long since passed AUTOart on their way up whilst they have been going down in quality.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Thankfully the only AUTOart I need is the 190E in its normal form. Not for me the Merceds Evo II which is being sold here at a 40% discount. Also big thanks to AUTOart for helping me save money on rally cars which are more often than not, sealed.
Jeff, I might disagree on you on Schumacher this time. I am not his fan but the guy does donate generously to various charities and I think he deserved every penny of what he got for his race craft, even though sometimes they were of dubious intentions.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I think the price hike was more like $10 instead of $3. Everywhere I look sellers have raised their prices $9-$10! This is the end of buying AUTOart's for me, that I'm sure of. I'm sick and tired of their crappy interiors and plastic bumpers that don't match the rest of the model. I had planned on ordering the dark blue Vantage because it has the tan interior, but now that it's $75, well $85 including shipping, I have officially stopped buying AUTOart's from now on except for the few on sale now and then. I can't afford these prices, if I could I would have the entire Exoto collection! Since AUTOart was planning on making nearly all of the models I wanted in the future I guess my collection is complete. :confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not a fan of blue on too many models, but that blue has a nice shade to it. :nicejob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.