DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a price increase with AUTOart, but does this apply to their old stock of models as well?

I notice on ebay that a bunch of older AUTOart models are well above their old price of $49.99. Ex. Lambo Gallardo, Murcielago, Diablo GTR, etc....same applies to their Porsches as well.

What's going on? Makes me mad to see this. I wish I had bought them back when they were $49.99....

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've started noticing that as well. Even some of the ones that sell for like $32 like the panoz and vipers and what not are even back up to $50 at most places. I'm kicking myself now for not ordering them even though I wasn't that interested in adding them to my collection.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Let see...offer your customer new product with less features for more money or same old product for more money!

I wish I could pull either one on my customers! but they always DEMAND more for less! :confused

:giggle :giggle :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I would bite a chunk of flesh out of my left arm to not have this discussion again :lol :lol :lol

Whats really bad is the fact that its hitting the secondary markets like eBay now. If I am not mistaken, it all goes back to the retailers signing that agreement to not sale product below MSRP.

I am willing to bet there are a lot of retailers who will be sitting on old stock for a loooooooooong time.

So much for a free market.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Maybe there should be a law that makes it illegal for manufactures to force stores to sell products at the MSRP...
I have a feeling these high prices will cause problems at AUTOart in the future.

And speaking of older AUTOart's I need to still pick up a few before they are gone... :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The AUTOart deal is for new cars though right? I would assume the older ones would retain their old price of $49.99.

I could only find S2000s to be around $24+ which is quite cheap. Too bad I already have 2 of them.

Unfortunately, for now, they seem to be the only choice for good detailed models. Not to say that they are the best though.

I don't think Maisto will ever improve to such as a scale to match AUTOart, especially since they aim for the lower price consumers.

I guess they really don't have much competition.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The S2000 have been saling for dirt cheap for a loooooong time now, well before the price increase.

I was talking to one retailer he told me he couldn't give them away.

I think the diecast market pricing has been greatly disrupted and needs to stabilize soon, if not there is no telling what future prices are going to be like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here.AUTOart pricing..... :lol

Malta just received its new stock of AUTOart goods..... I have seen the importer papers, the Berlin DTM and Maroon BMW Limousine had a fixed MSRP of 120$!!!!!! While other models, like the Zung Fu and Cobra had the usual price! :confused

I was just wondering, isn't price fixing illegal? I dont know if its the same scenario but look

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes price fixing is illegal. But there is no regulation in this hobby so these companies are allowed to get away with it.

All it will take is for one of these retailers to drop a letter to their state attorney general or congressman. I am sure overzealous congressman or lawyer would eat this up in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry, but price fixing requires a conspiracy between two or more companies. In this case, AUTOart is only "fixing" their own prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
When I use the term"price fixing", I'm using it as a relative term as it applies to this discussion.

Please allow me to explain myself.

>A company adopts a policy which requires all retailers of their products to sign an agreement agreeing to sell their merchandise at a price the company deem neccessary. Closeouts, sales or clearance makes no difference to them, its not their problem.

>If the retailer chooses not to sell that product(new and old stock) at that price, they are automatically cut off from future product.

>If a retailer chooses not to sign the agreement, they are cutoff from future products regardless if they already have stock.

The crappy part about it, these companies(no names mentioned) are doing all of this through the middle man(which is the distributor) as they do not even sell directly to the middle man, therefore they don't get their hands dirty.

So regardless of how you view it, that my friend is a form of price fixing and interferes with a persons right to free enterprise because they don't want to play by rules set forth by some company.

If these companies feel they need to protect their brand and price, nothing wrong with that and many companies do it to some extent. However, if that is the case, they need to implement some type of affiliate program or licensed dealer network. But to tell an independent seller what to sell their product for after it has already been paid for free and clear from a third party is absolutely wrong.

I don't see any automaker enforcing their prices throughout the used car market. Their prices are enforced on new car lots but new car lots are authorized licensed dealers. See the aforementioned and it may start to make sense.

Same principles apply in this hobby, however, most retailers opt to go along with the orders handed to them so their piece of the pie is not altered. Its easier to lay down than to stand up and say "wait a minute, this smells like a giant turd of a deal".

Therefore, your conspiracy theory has an exception.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I remember the pricing agreement was to only apply to stock that dealers purchased going forward from the time AUTOart began enforcing it. It is clear however that many dealers who deal via eBay have used the situation to boost prices on stock they already had. There are many other dealers with online sites who did not do this and I know of a local dealer in my area where you can get pretty good and reasonable prices not only on the older stuff but on the new incoming stuff as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What many diecast stores are doing now is they're having these big AUTOart sales to be able to afford to buy new AUTOart models to sell. Don't forget that the dealers have to coupe with the higher prices as well.

I've seen this at local stores and such. I only buy AUTOart now if they're on sale. So it really doesn't bother me that much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Hi guys, this price adjustment is for new products only. If a retailer decided to sell his old AUTOart for higher then before, that has nothing to do with our SRP program.

By the way, we are not price fixing at all. Like all business, a product needs to make a profit and today, shelf space is much harder to find. These SRP that you see today have always been there but never enforced. So, we never had a price increase, it is only a price adjustment on the retail level.

The previous free for all dumping created a huge problem for us, because of the internet, e-bay, basement sellers, sub distributors, etc. , AUTOart models were starting to sell right around the wholesale price and sometimes they were selling at wholesale or below.
There was a huge price war going on and some retailers were selling at a loss just so they don't loose their collectors.
Many retailers started to cary less stock and only buying what was presold because of the lack of margins.
E-bay and the internet were taking over the market by selling a couple dollars over wholesale and this was ok with them because they have no overhead.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against e-bay or the internet business, but this is not the road that we wanted to take with our brand. So, enforcing an SRP, which by the way is done by many companies, brought back the margins that AUTOart was meant to have for retailers and online stores.

Of coarse, this does not make you the collectors happy, since you guys were very much enjoying this price war, but these are the prices that AUTOart was meant to be at from the beginning. There are many, many, many, products out there with the same problem and a major clean up will have to be done to fix this. There are many diecast companies that will have to do the same as us if they want to survive. You guys would be surprise to know how much product is sold at wholesale because of e-bay and online stores.

This was a very hard move for us but we are seeing long term and we want to continue supplying great products for collectors for a long time to come, so we had to fix this retail problem and we did.
Doing so has made us loose some collectors but has also solidify our brand in the collector market and I am confident that with time, the market will adjust.

Also, many retailers have member discounts, club discounts, prefered customer discount, etc. There is nothing AUTOart can do about that. We are only protecting the listed or announced retail prices.
We have to protect the market and our product and we cannot let the market dump our line like it was being dumped before.

By the way, I have been gone for a couple of weeks and just noticed that my PM box was full. I did a bit of cleaning in it and you can now send me PMs again.

:cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I still think that when product starts backing up, somone will blink and prices will be the same as they always were.

The market will only pay what it will pay...

BTW Denis, your good! "not a price increase, it was only an adjustment" :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:lol

Denis that "adjustment" line is a good one.

Let me ask you, do you think the eBay market is really that bad for retailers and companies and if so how?

I have my thoughts about this, but would love to hear your side as a company voice.

I promise thats not a loaded question :lol

But in response to you mentioning some retailers and/or sellers selling product below wholesale cost, you don't honestly think they are the original purchaser from the distributor, do you. From my understanding and it could be in left field somewhere, sellers who sold below retail were able to do so because they pruchased discounted merchandise from a retailer who purchased it originally at wholesale pricing. Allowing the merchandise to not clog up its shelves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.