DiecastXchange Forum banner

Acme/Greenlight Merger? WHAT!

17K views 80 replies 33 participants last post by  slartibartfast229 
#1 ·
Apparently these two are joinging forces in July and going under the name of GMP! Models that were in plans to be produced by GMP back in 2009 (like the 67 vette i hope) will be the first releases. This is awesome news for all collectors but especially good for those who dig that good old American Muscle!

America wins in world cup
, The Heat LOSE
and now this, it is a good week to be Smokey

C'mon GMP start with this one!

See less See more
#3 ·
OMG OMG OMG I joyfully peed in my pants for all the happiness I just read

That news is great to hear and hopefully we'll see far more muscle beauties come out of these guys than before - with better attention to details too!

#7 ·
No Al I have seen it from a few sources I respect, did a little homework of my own too.

@Sam I am with you man, who said the diecast hobby is dying a slow death, only those who want it too, I plan to support this merger very fully. Happy days.

#12 ·
I'd like a few more three window Fords. And a re release of the Southern rat rod.

#14 ·
GMP/Acme said on Facebook that old models would not be re-released, as people were expressing concern about their value. However, MORE similar releases I suppose would be in the plans. I want more Fox Body Mustangs, personally, perhaps even some new SN95 and beyond

#15 ·
Interesting news. I hope they still have access to the Olds Cutlass mold. How amazing would it be if Greenlight/Acme/GMP could also gain access to the DCP/Highway 61 mold's? That would really be worthy of a yummy dance.

#18 ·
I am VERY excited about this news. It comes at a time when my interest in American muscle car die-casts is renewed, mostly because (1) I am sick of AUTOart's business practices, constantly rising prices, and increasingly average models, and (2) I am getting tired of waiting for models that I like but aren't available in 1/18, like the BMW 4 Series, M3/M4, Jaguar F-Type, etc.

ACME has done a great job with the Lane/Exact Detail molds so far. I have purchased the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS and the 1972 Oldsmobile 442 that they have recently released, and they are every bit as good, perhaps a bit better in some areas, than the original releases. Meanwhile, Greenlight has given us some great Mustang IIs, and I'm looking forward to their late 1970s Camaros later this year. So knowing that the old GMP is in these capable hands is fantastic news!

I hope we'll see more GMP Plymouth GTX and Road Runner models, more Fairlanes, Fox-body Mustangs, and 1970-72 Pontiacs. I know people who own previous releases are thinking about the potential for diminished value; I'd submit that there are still a lot of models to be made without duplicates. Even though there will always be demand for the biggest engine combined with a 4-speed in every car, it's also a chance to make some other trim levels as well. I'd be happy to see more non-Judge GTOs, maybe even a Le Mans or Tempest, some Sport Satellites, Fairlane 500s, etc. for variety's sake. I also hope the long-rumored new mold of the 1970 Coronet, or at least the idea of it, can be resurrected.

My crystal ball is a bit murky, so I can't predict the future. Right now, there are a fair amount of signs that point to diminished interest- and returns- in this hobby. On the other hand, I think GMP/ACME/Greenlight are well-positioned to take advantage of pent-up demand for muscle cars. I've already seen some grumbling elsewhere about price increases, since Lane/Exact Detail models were once around $90 and new releases are around $130 or $135, but I'd argue that these price increases are much more in line with what one should expect over the course of a decade than the price increases that AUTOart, Kyosho, and even Auto World have squeezed out of collectors. It's also a heck of a lot better than the prices on the secondary market. Good luck trying to find a Road Runner coupe in a Mopar Hi-Impact color for less than $250 or $300 these days. So I think this new GMP/Greenlight/ACME alliance is going to be VERY good for those of us who like American muscle car die-cast models.

Now, if someone can rescue Highway 61's excellent molds, I'd be even more excited!

#21 ·
I agree with you very much on this choice Smokey............I had a chance to buy a GT-37 in 1991 for cheap but passed as I was an E1 in the military at the time, married with two kids and just couldn't swing it.

On another note ACME has the 70, 71 & 72 GTO molds, ACME's first GTO release was the Promo Ad GTO and their second was the Double Lane GTO. Hopefully we'll get more regular release GTO's (non-Judge's) in the future.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hope they release this on the last picture it tells you what it was supposed to be http://m.ebay.co.uk/...7313?nav=SEARCH
This would be great Jamie...
......I just missed out on a great deal on the Wimbledon white...back in the day.....and have hankered after one ever since.....

This is a cracker with the lovely detailed 427 in situ!

#50 ·
That's very good news, it they're selling from the EU it'll be great for us, no silly import duties etc!! But I guess the MRSP's will be higher.

A new Roadrunner though? I'm interested!!

#29 ·
I want:

Pontiac: LeMans - even into the mid '70's; Tempest as well; Grand Prix...especially into the '75/76 model years; Firebird/Trans Am's up to '78
Chevy: 69/72 El Camino; 70/72 Camaro; 69 Chrvelle; 66/72 Nova SS; Chevelle Wagon; '66/70 Impala & Malibu's
Buick: Special, GS and GSX's '66 -72; Riviera in the 69/72 era; Wildcat 66/72
Olds: heck Cutlass's of course; I'd love to get my '72 Delta 88 coupe; and believe it or not the Vista Cruiser!; an a better Toronado

And a big bank account to afford them all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.